Cloud Atlas +Couples/Partners/Mates over multiple Past Lives

A place for videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.

Cloud Atlas +Couples/Partners/Mates over multiple Past Lives

Postby Sara H » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:42 am

Cloud Atlas,

Has anyone seen this movie?

This movie is amazing. It's really good. A little disjointed, but it does a very good first attempt to try and explain something. A difficult concept to explain in words.

The idea that most people refer to as a "soulmate".
"Life is full of suffering. AND Life is full of the Eternal
IT IS OUR CHOICE
We can stand in our shadow, and wallow in the darkness,
OR
We can turn around.
It is OUR choice." -Rev. Basil

" ...out of fear, even the good harm one another. " -Rev. Dazui MacPhillamy
Sara H

Re: Cloud Atlas +Couples/Partners/Mates over multiple Past L

Postby Jinzang » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 am

Yes, I saw Cloud Atlas and enjoyed it. I thought the most impressive part was how they waeved the different stories together. But it was the sort of film that people either love or hate. It got a bunch of one star reviews.
Lamrim, lojong, and mahamudra are the unmistaken path.
Jinzang

Postby anjali » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:29 pm

If you liked the movie, I encourage you to read the book which is far superior. Although the movie was still pretty good. :-) The ending of the book was changed in the movie. The movie ends on a "technological optimism" note that the book doesn't have. I won't say any more in case you decide to read the book.
  • The object of the game is to go on playing it. --John Von Neumann
  • All activities are like the games children play. If started, they can never be finished. They are only completed once you let them be, like castles made of sand. --Khenpo Nyoshul Rinpoche
anjali

Postby conebeckham » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:29 pm

I second the encouragement to read the book. I enjoyed the movie. The book is MUCH better.

David Mitchell's worth reading, in general-very imaginative, and a great and interesting prose stylist --I'd recommend "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet," as well, especially for anyone with an interest in Edo period Japan and the confluence of "Eastern" and "Western" culture at that time.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby coldwater » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Oh yes, beautiful!
Prpbably my Buddhist filter is on strong and I interpreted it how I liked :)

negatively... I think it was over the top with some of the violence/sex though and the weird racial reductions...but I think they tried their best in making something appeal to a mass market that was independently funded. Gratuitous blood and sex sells but maybe it was also to show a broader spectrum of human experiences?

I know quite a few people who found Buddhism through the Wachowski's other movie the Matrix- and I hope the same kind of internal dialogue and questioning comes from this movie. Cloud Atlas seemed like a secularized version of rebirth, cause and effect, and a lot of Mahayana ideals I thought. I didn't take away anything about soul mates or couples though. That didn't seem emphasized to me as much. I didn't see it as reincarnations, rather as rebirths that were influenced by a network of actions.

Haven't read the book but from what I understand it was the author's intent to explore reincarnation/human nature rather than overt Buddhist ideas? Maybe I just didn't pick up on that in the movie.

I hope though it didn't do how I hear the Huckabee's did where most people saw it as "funny/weird" rather than seeing the subtext or ideas being presented. Added it to my list of "buddhist ish movies" though...
coldwater

Postby Sara H » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:33 am

coldwater wrote:Oh yes, beautiful!
Prpbably my Buddhist filter is on strong and I interpreted it how I liked :)

negatively... I think it was over the top with some of the violence/sex though and the weird racial reductions...but I think they tried their best in making something appeal to a mass market that was independently funded. Gratuitous blood and sex sells but maybe it was also to show a broader spectrum of human experiences?

I thought they did that pretty well actually. I mean blood and sex is part of the human experience. (and you're right, they do have to sell tickets, otherwise it wouldn't get produced. They also have to hit several target audiences, including young males) They showed a lot, love, friendship, loyalty, bonding.

I know quite a few people who found Buddhism through the Wachowski's other movie the Matrix-

This is kindof interesting. I never really considered those movies Buddhist at all. To me they seem very Abrahamic, what with the whole "savior" theme and Zionistic overtones, and strong duality of good vs. evil with the machine war and later Neo's final battle against Smith.

and I hope the same kind of internal dialogue and questioning comes from this movie. Cloud Atlas seemed like a secularized version of rebirth, cause and effect, and a lot of Mahayana ideals I thought. I didn't take away anything about soul mates or couples though. That didn't seem emphasized to me as much. I didn't see it as reincarnations, rather as rebirths that were influenced by a network of actions.

Well that's why I said its a hard concept to put into words. There are people who are "mates", over multiple lifetimes, though it's not "reincarnation" as such. As far as it not being included in the movie, I'm not sure how you could miss that. It was the same couple and people throughout each story. That was the whole idea. Didn't you get the link with the birthmark? And it was rebirth, because some of the times they picked up karma from people who weren't a mate, such as the tropical far future man played by Tom Hanks, having a bit of karma from the Doctor on the sailing ship. The line referenced there was the whole line that the voice of the devil or spirit talking to him "Georgie" saying "The weak are meat, and the strong do eat" which was a line the Doctor used when trying to poison the other guy.

There were a lot of little references like that that explain it pretty well. Sometimes people who were "married" in one lifetime wern't actual life mates in that sense. The escaped slave and the guy being poisoned were mates, even though the one guy had a wife. It works like that with mates sometimes. That reference is shown when the slave guy is walking across the yardarm to unfurl the sail, and at the same time, in the future life, it's cut showing the battle with him across the sky bridge trying to rescue his mate the fabricant girl.

In one life his mate saved him, as the slave, in the next he saved her.

You'd be surprised how often things like that happen.

My spouse and I are mates like that. There's many lifetimes of love there.

It's not "reincarnation". That's not correct, because you don't stay the same from each life, and just get reincarnated, you pick up different things from different people and beings, but there is sortof a stream there.
My love explained it as being like two streams flowing side by side with each other.

As I said, it's a hard concept to explain.

Sara
"Life is full of suffering. AND Life is full of the Eternal
IT IS OUR CHOICE
We can stand in our shadow, and wallow in the darkness,
OR
We can turn around.
It is OUR choice." -Rev. Basil

" ...out of fear, even the good harm one another. " -Rev. Dazui MacPhillamy
Sara H

Return to Media