Marines expanding use of meditation training

A place for videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.

Marines expanding use of meditation training

Postby pueraeternus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:10 am

If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Re: Marines expanding use of meditation training

Postby BrianG » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:31 am

Having been in the Marine Corps infantry myself, I see this as positive. Anything that enables people with weapons to make more rational choices, is a good thing. Also, seeing as some of my friends came back psychologically destroyed, anything that can relieve the suffering of those who have been through hell, is also a good thing.

Brian
BrianG

Postby floating_abu » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:12 pm

What an awful thing to have to do, to have to maim and kill, but it seems that many of these people do not mind ? There is even a bloodlust, a liking perhaps ? Or people get accustomed e.g meat eaters do not see it as the animal, but just as meat to be eaten. Zen Dude, could you enlighten me on some of the psychology or experiences of combat forces if possible?

On the general topic, I think there can be various uses to meditation, not all meditation is of the Buddhist 'type' IMO.

Abu
floating_abu

Postby pueraeternus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Zen Dude wrote:Having been in the Marine Corps infantry myself, I see this as positive. Anything that enables people with weapons to make more rational choices, is a good thing. Also, seeing as some of my friends came back psychologically destroyed, anything that can relieve the suffering of those who have been through hell, is also a good thing.

Brian

I am not sure if such training would result in more rational choices. But I guess at least they will be less likely to be gripped by terror and end up shooting indiscriminately.
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Return to Media