Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Pure Land thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:37 pm
Posts: 81
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Hi!

Until about now, I have been very confused whether buddhas, bodhisattavas, pure lands, hells, etc exist "really" or simply as metaphors. But I realized that there's no way I can figure out which is the true view. What I know, however, is that these things definitely exits IN SOME SENSE which my mind is incapable of understanding at the moment. And that's enough! Feels really like being a stupid bonpu, but I feel that's the right path!

Another thing, do you feel one should solely focus on Amida or if it would be a good idea to be aware of other buddhas and bodhisattvas as well? Let's not forget that the Contemplation Sutra recommends visualizing Avalokiteshvara (and the other bodhisattva which name I can't recall at the moment). Wouldn't it be a good idea to recite NAMO KANZEON BOSATSU from time to time? I think I used to focus so much on Amida that I basically denied the existence of countless of great beings, losing the ability to give respect to them! And that's not the right way.

Third thing, I think nembutsu practitioners should try to see how much more they are concerned about trivial matters or pleasures than about nembutsu. In Japanase one could say like like 常の念仏 tsune no nembutsu, constant nembutsu. We should really strive to be in as constant nembutsu as possible!

Namo Amida Butsu :smile:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pure Land thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am
Posts: 2776
the sky is blue and the grass is green... namu amida butsu.. namu kannon bosatsu... namu amida butsu...

_________________
TWTB BIES OCB DDM BWF


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pure Land thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am
Posts: 683
gyougan wrote:

Until about now, I have been very confused whether buddhas, bodhisattavas, pure lands, hells, etc exist "really" or simply as metaphors. But I realized that there's no way I can figure out which is the true view. What I know, however, is that these things definitely exits IN SOME SENSE which my mind is incapable of understanding at the moment. And that's enough! Feels really like being a stupid bonpu, but I feel that's the right path!


You are correct - you have reached the limit of your conceptual understanding, and you have come to have faith that there is a "reality" outside of your dualistic limits. :thumbsup: It's irrelevant whether you think Amitabha is "real" or a "symbol." These are equally conceptual designations, so just do the practice (as you are doing) and in time discover the true nature of Amitabha through experience.

gyougan wrote:
Another thing, do you feel one should solely focus on Amida or if it would be a good idea to be aware of other buddhas and bodhisattvas as well? Let's not forget that the Contemplation Sutra recommends visualizing Avalokiteshvara (and the other bodhisattva which name I can't recall at the moment). Wouldn't it be a good idea to recite NAMO KANZEON BOSATSU from time to time? I think I used to focus so much on Amida that I basically denied the existence of countless of great beings, losing the ability to give respect to them! And that's not the right way.


Follow your inspiration. Consider that it is only your own dualistic limit which sees the Buddhas as different. They are all of exactly the same mind. If you focus solely on Amitabha, all Buddhas are contained within him. No one is going to feel left out. On the other hand, you can also make prayers to a different Buddha every moment from now until eternity, and never run out of Buddhas to receive blessings from.

Keep up the good work!!! :anjali:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pure Land thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:43 pm
Posts: 65
Location: India
What does it mean to focus on amitabha, just reciting his name?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pure Land thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:37 pm
Posts: 81
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Music wrote:
What does it mean to focus on amitabha, just reciting his name?


As for me, reciting the name but not "obsessively". Trying to be aware of the inconceivable light. Trying to integrate nembutsu with daily life!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pure Land thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:37 pm
Posts: 81
Location: Helsinki, Finland
dakini_boy, thanks for that post. I truly appreciate! :bow:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pure Land thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 185
Good place to be is not-knowing.
Chanting plus not-knowing,even better.
;-)

_________________
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group