Praising Amitabha Buddha

Praising Amitabha Buddha

Postby NGSigma » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am

Hi guys,

Do you praise/ extoll Amitabha's virtues ?

When I am cultivating/ reciting at home, I praise Amitabha either before recitation or after recitation or both.
Recently, I encountered the praise by Guru Tsong Khapa from the resources section. I like the praise so much that I have been using itsince then.

However, I am not aware whether the act of praising for cultivators is common or not, nor am I aware of the 'benefits' (I understand one should not think of benefits when reciting Buddha's name) concerning praising.

Please let me know your views.

Thanks!

Dan
NGSigma

Re: Praising Amitabha Buddha

Postby plwk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 am

One example...
http://www.drba.org/dharma/amitabhasutra.asp
Shariputra, just as I now praise the inconceivable merit and virtue of all Buddhas, all those Buddhas also praise my inconceivable merit and virtue, saying these words:
Shakyamuni Buddha can accomplish extremely difficult and rare deeds in the Saha Land during the evil time of the Five Turbidities: during the time turbidity, the views turbidity, the affliction turbidity, the living beings turbidity, and the lifespan turbidity.
He can attain anuttarasamyaksambodhi and for the sake of living beings proclaim this Dharma, which the whole world finds hard to believe.
Rejoicing in meritorius qualities and actions vs 'praising' for cultivators...
http://cttbusa.org/avatamsaka/avatamsaka40.asp
The Fifth Vow: To Follow Along With and Rejoice in Merit and Virtue
“Moreover, Good Man, to follow along with and rejoice in merit and virtue is explained like this:
All the Buddhas, Thus Come Ones, as numerous as the fine dust motes in all the Buddhalands of the ten directions and the three periods of time, throughout the Dharma Realm and the realm of empty space, from the time of their initial resolve for all wisdom, diligently cultivated accumulation of blessings without regard for their bodies and lives. They did this throughout kalpas as many as fine motes of dust in ineffably ineffable Buddhalands. During each kalpa they gave up their heads, eyes, hands, and feet, as many times as there are dust motes in ineffably ineffable Buddhalands.

“In this way, they cultivated all the difficult ascetic practices and perfected the gates of the various paramitas. They entered and were certified to each of the Bodhisattva grounds of wisdom and accomplished the unsurpassed Bodhi of all Buddhas. Upon their Parinirvana, their shariras were divided and distributed. I completely follow along with and rejoice in all of their good roots.

“Moreover, as for all the different types of beings in the six paths and the four kinds of birth in every world in the ten directions, I follow along with and rejoice in their merit and virtue as well, even if it is as small as a mote of dust. I completely follow along with and rejoice in the merit and virtue of all the Sound Hearers, Pratyeka-Buddhas, Learners, and Those Beyond Study in the ten directions and the three periods of time. I follow along with and rejoice in the vast and great merit and virtue of all Bodhisattvas, who in their quest for unsurpassed, right, and equal Bodhi, cultivate measureless difficult ascetic practices.

“So it is that even if the realm of empty space is exhausted, the realms of living beings are exhausted, the karma of living beings is exhausted, and the afflictions of living beings are exhausted, my following and rejoicing are endless. They continue in thought after thought without cease. My body, mouth, and mind never weary of these deeds

Some after thoughts...
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Then the Blessed One said to Ven. Ananda,
"Ananda, the twin sal-trees are in full bloom, even though it's not the flowering season. They shower, strew, & sprinkle on the Tathagata's body in homage to him. Heavenly coral-tree blossoms are falling from the sky... Heavenly sandalwood powder is falling from the sky... Heavenly music is playing in the sky... Heavenly songs are sung in the sky, in homage to the Tathagata.
But it is not to this extent that a Tathagata is worshipped, honored, respected, venerated, or paid homage to.
Rather, the monk, nun, male lay follower, or female lay follower who keeps practicing the Dhamma in accordance with the Dhamma, who keeps practicing masterfully, who lives in accordance with the Dhamma: that is the person who worships, honors, respects, venerates, & pays homage to the Tathagata with the highest homage.
So you should train yourselves: 'We will keep practicing the Dhamma in accordance with the Dhamma, we will keep practicing masterfully, we will live in accordance with the Dhamma.'That's how you should train yourselves."
Sariputra & the Buddha...
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaji.html
Then the Venerable Sariputta went to the Blessed One, respectfully greeted Him, sat down at one side, and spoke thus to Him:
"This faith, Lord, I have in the Blessed One, that there has not been, there will not be, nor is there now, another recluse or brahman more exalted in Enlightenment than the Blessed One."

"Lofty indeed is this speech of yours, Sariputta, and lordly! A bold utterance, a veritable sounding of the lion's roar!
But how is this, Sariputta? Those Arahants, Fully Enlightened Ones of the past — do you have direct personal knowledge of all those Blessed Ones, as to their virtue, their meditation, their wisdom, their abiding, and their emancipation?"
"Not so, Lord."

"Then how is this, Sariputta? Those Arahants, Fully Enlightened Ones of the future — do you have direct personal knowledge of all those Blessed Ones, as to their virtue, their meditation, their wisdom, their abiding, and their emancipation?"
"Not so, Lord."

"Then how is this, Sariputta? Of me, who am at present the Arahant, the Fully Enlightened One, do you have direct personal knowledge as to my virtue, my meditation, my wisdom, my abiding, and my emancipation?"
"Not so, Lord."

"Then it is clear, Sariputta, that you have no such direct personal knowledge of the Arahats, the Fully Enlightened Ones of the past, the future, and the present. How then dare you set forth a speech so lofty and lordly, an utterance so bold, a veritable sounding of the lion's roar, saying: 'This faith, Lord, I have in the Blessed One, that there has not been, there will not be, nor is there now another recluse or brahman more exalted in Enlightenment than the Blessed One'?"

"No such direct personal knowledge, indeed, is mine, Lord, of the Arahants, the Fully Enlightened Ones of the past, the future, and the present; and yet I have come to know the lawfulness of the Dhamma. Suppose, Lord, a king's frontier fortress was strongly fortified, with strong ramparts and turrets, and it had a single gate, and there was a gatekeeper, intelligent, experienced, and prudent, who would keep out the stranger but allow the friend to enter. As he patrols the path that leads all around the fortress, he does not perceive a hole or fissure in the ramparts even big enough to allow a cat to slip through. So he comes to the conclusion: 'Whatever grosser living things are to enter or leave this city, they will all have to do so just by this gate.' In the same way, Lord, I have come to know the lawfulness of the Dhamma.

"For, Lord, all the Blessed Ones, Arahants, Fully Enlightened Ones of the past had abandoned the five hindrances, the mental defilements that weaken wisdom; had well established their minds in the four foundations of mindfulness; had duly cultivated the seven factors of enlightenment, and were fully enlightened in unsurpassed, supreme Enlightenment.

"And, Lord, all the Blessed Ones, Arahants, Fully Enlightened Ones of the future will abandon the five hindrances, the mental defilements that weaken wisdom; will well establish their minds in the four foundations of mindfulness; will duly cultivate the seven factors of enlightenment, and will be fully enlightened in unsurpassed, supreme Enlightenment.

"And the Blessed One too, Lord, being at present the Arahant, the Fully Enlightened One, has abandoned the five hindrances, the mental defilements that weaken wisdom; has well established his mind in the four foundations of mindfulness; has duly cultivated the seven factors of enlightenment, and is fully enlightened in unsurpassed, supreme Enlightenment."

With all of the above in mind, then I sing...
Amitabha's body is the color of gold,
The splendor of His hallmarks has no peer;
The light of His brow shines around a hundred worlds,
Wide as the seas are His eyes pure and clear.
Shining in His brilliance by transformation
Are countless Bodhisattvas and infinite Buddhas.
His forty-eight vows will be our liberation,
In nine lotus stages we reach the farthest shore.
Homage to the Buddha of the Western Pure Land,
Kind and Compassionate, Amitabha Buddha
Namo Amitabha Buddha!
plwk

Re: Praising Amitabha Buddha

Postby Kaji » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:40 pm

In Chinese Buddhism, we are taught that this is an important area of Buddhist practice.

Samantabhadra Bodhisattva's ten great vows, which Mahayana Buddhists should learn and follow, are:

1.To pay homage and respect to all Buddhas.
2.To praise all the Buddhas.
3.To make abundant offerings. (i.e. give generously)
4.To repent misdeeds and evil karmas.
5.To rejoice in others' merits and virtues.
6.To request the Buddhas to continue teaching.
7.To request the Buddhas to remain in the world.
8.To follow the teachings of the Buddhas at all times.
9.To accommodate and benefit all living beings.
10.To transfer all merits and virtues to benefit all beings.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Kaji

Return to Pure Land