Korean Pure Land Buddhism

cheondo

Re: Korean Pure Land Buddhism

Post by cheondo »

KwanSeum wrote:
cheondo wrote:I have a similar situation, but I was there only four years and have only one child. It reads that you're in the UK -- are you involved with the Amita Trust? Looks like an interesting organization.
No, I've no connection to the Amita Trust.

Just to clarify then, you lived in Korea for four years and have a Korean wife and child? Where do you live now? Can you speak Korean? Are you still attached to any Korean temples?

KwanSeum
Correct. I live in Austin, TX. I speak high-level beginner's Korean. Strangely enough, there are no temples in Austin, but lots of Koreans! They're apparently all Christians.

There's a Chinese temple two miles away and today I'll go and chant Amita Sutra, among others. I'm not thrilled about chanting in Chinese since I spent so much time memorizing the chants in Korean! :thinking:
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

cheondo wrote:... there are no temples in Austin, but lots of Koreans! They're apparently all Christians.
That doesn't surprise me as many Koreans are Christian these days. When in Korea they often thought I was mad being English and Buddhist.
cheondo wrote:I'm not thrilled about chanting in Chinese since I spent so much time memorizing the chants in Korean! :thinking:
What a fantastic chance to learn a bit of Chinese too.
cheondo

Post by cheondo »

Reminds me of a time my friend and I went into Bongeunsa -- we'd go every Saturday for Yeombul. And one day this helpful Korean fellow pointed out that the big gold statue was Buddha. IOW, white people and Buddhism? Nah. :shrug:

My friend joked when he was back in England in a church and saw a Korean there, he'd point out that the cross represents Jesus, or in a catholic church, that the guy on the cross is Jesus Christ. :twothumbsup:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I'm very eager to know more about Cheontae, if anyone knows anything further about it.

It seems to me that Wonhyo, for one, must have been familiar with TienTai thinking, which would have been more or less contemporary to him...

Return to “Pure Land”