Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Mr. G » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Does anyone know of any modern day Pure Land Masters? I'm thinking someone comparable to Yin Guang. Bascially someone who has spent alot of time in retreat.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Astus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:07 pm

The Old Venerable Guangqin (Guang Qin Lao He Shang - 廣欽老和尚, 1892-1986) was an illiterate monk who spent many years in retreat and taught in the fashion of "Chan - Pure Land" as common in China.

A selection of his teachings are available in English: Analects of Master Kuang Ch'in

Here's the famous photo of his funeral, the light generally understood to be a special sign:
Image
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4213
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Mr. G » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi Astus,

I think I used a different spelling in my first post, but yes, I have that book and liked it. He was definitely an amazing teacher and practitioner.

:namaste:
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby plwk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Image
Links: 1 2


plwk
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Astus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:20 pm

mr. gordo wrote:Hi Astus,

I think I used a different spelling in my first post, but yes, I have that book and liked it. He was definitely an amazing teacher and practitioner.

:namaste:


Yinguang (印光) and Guangqin (廣欽) are two different teachers, not the same age and not exactly the same type of background and teaching. The teachings of Yinguang in English are in the book "Pure-Land Zen, Zen Pure-Land: Letters from patriarch Yin Kuang". Yinguang is more of the faith and other-power approach, Guangqin is more of meditation and self-power.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4213
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Mr. G » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:28 pm

Duh! Thanks for the correction Astus. :smile:

Thanks for the vids of Ching Kung plwk. Has he done alot of time in retreat?
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby plwk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:11 am

From what my friends who are his followers have told me, I am sure he has mr gordo and even conducts numerous retreats for others. He is the present day living example and an admirable reference on Pure Land teaching & practice in the Chinese Mahayana world undoubtedly.
I wonder who has he designated as his successor though...
plwk
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Mr. G » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Interesting plwk, thanks!
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Huifeng » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:12 am

If you enjoy the Chan - Pureland style, then I would definitely recommend checking out this teacher, Ven Huiri 慧日法師. I spent several years practicing with him when I was in South Africa.

A couple of my friends have set up a site for those Pureland teachings here, and another one focusing on the Chan here, though the original site is still here.

One of those friends used to be a web designer, and both of them after studying with Ven Huiri have also been practicing in Nepal for a few years. One of their teachers is HH KC Ayang Rinpoche, who is a phowa teacher.

He has done a few years in solitary retreat, both Chan and Pureland practice. He's also led maybe 150 7-10 day retreats over the years, as well, all over the world.
User avatar
Huifeng
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Mr. G » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:15 am

Huifeng wrote:If you enjoy the Chan - Pureland style, then I would definitely recommend checking out this teacher, Ven Huiri 慧日法師. I spent several years practicing with him when I was in South Africa.

A couple of my friends have set up a site for those Pureland teachings here, and another one focusing on the Chan here, though the original site is still here.

One of those friends used to be a web designer, and both of them after studying with Ven Huiri have also been practicing in Nepal for a few years. One of their teachers is HH KC Ayang Rinpoche, who is a phowa teacher.

He has done a few years in solitary retreat, both Chan and Pureland practice. He's also led maybe 150 7-10 day retreats over the years, as well, all over the world.


Thank you Venerable, this is fascinating. I've never heard of Ven Huiri.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Mr. G » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 pm

So in terms of living Pure Land masters...just two? Including Ayang Ripoche, 3?
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Astus » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Recently the master and I were talking about his revolutionary change from Ch'an practice to totally practising the Pureland path of Master ShanDao, unable to maintain my curiosity I blurted out"

"But don't you miss your Ch'an practice? You spent so many years and so much effort doing it, don't you regret giving it up as completely as you have?"

He looked at me sideways, with that really mischievous smile of his and said:

"You don't understand. There's nothing to give up, nothing to lose. Everything I do is Ch'an. Ch'an is all around us. Could you possible let go of the space you're sitting in now? Could you be anything but sitting here in this space? Of course not! Ch'an is in anything and everything I do. I just don't talk about it like I used to anymore. I don't sit and think about it and discuss it and teach it."

"I looked at the people in this world. I saw how much they suffer, how difficult it is for them to understand, to practice, so I started teaching about Amitabha Buddha instead. And I'm the kind of person who only teaches what he practices, so I had to start practicing Pureland, and had to practice it properly, or I wouldn't be able to teach it."


Giving Up Chan?
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4213
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Mr. G » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Astus wrote:Recently the master and I were talking about his revolutionary change from Ch'an practice to totally practising the Pureland path of Master ShanDao, unable to maintain my curiosity I blurted out"

"But don't you miss your Ch'an practice? You spent so many years and so much effort doing it, don't you regret giving it up as completely as you have?"

He looked at me sideways, with that really mischievous smile of his and said:

"You don't understand. There's nothing to give up, nothing to lose. Everything I do is Ch'an. Ch'an is all around us. Could you possible let go of the space you're sitting in now? Could you be anything but sitting here in this space? Of course not! Ch'an is in anything and everything I do. I just don't talk about it like I used to anymore. I don't sit and think about it and discuss it and teach it."

"I looked at the people in this world. I saw how much they suffer, how difficult it is for them to understand, to practice, so I started teaching about Amitabha Buddha instead. And I'm the kind of person who only teaches what he practices, so I had to start practicing Pureland, and had to practice it properly, or I wouldn't be able to teach it."


Giving Up Chan?


:good:
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby sinweiy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:13 am

Ven Master Chin Kung is really a master that lead me to the core of buddhism. Thanks for changing my life and thought. you can say he's link down from Patriarch Yin Kuang. as His teacher, Upasaka Li Binan was a student of patriarch Yin Kuang.

/\
_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
User avatar
sinweiy
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:18 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby tonyleesb » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:23 am

Astus wrote:The Old Venerable Guangqin (Guang Qin Lao He Shang - 廣欽老和尚, 1892-1986) was an illiterate monk who spent many years in retreat and taught in the fashion of "Chan - Pure Land" as common in China.

A selection of his teachings are available in English: Analects of Master Kuang Ch'in

Here's the famous photo of his funeral, the light generally understood to be a special sign:
Image


I am searching for the video, can you please provide the video link of his funeral. Tq. :buddha1:
tonyleesb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:19 am

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby plwk » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:55 am

tonyleesb wrote:
Astus wrote:The Old Venerable Guangqin (Guang Qin Lao He Shang - 廣欽老和尚, 1892-1986) was an illiterate monk who spent many years in retreat and taught in the fashion of "Chan - Pure Land" as common in China.

A selection of his teachings are available in English: Analects of Master Kuang Ch'in

Here's the famous photo of his funeral, the light generally understood to be a special sign:
Image


I am searching for the video, can you please provide the video link of his funeral. Tq. :buddha1:

plwk
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Modern Day Pure Land Masters

Postby Osho » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Mr. G wrote:Does anyone know of any modern day Pure Land Masters? I'm thinking someone comparable to Yin Guang. Bascially someone who has spent alot of time in retreat.

............................................
Tariki Trust's Caroline Brazier is very good.
UK and France Based.
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
User avatar
Osho
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 pm


Return to Pure Land

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

>