Jodo Shinshu under-represented?

Jodo Shinshu under-represented?

Postby steveb1 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:29 pm

From time to time I wonder why Jodo Shinshu is so under-represented in public venues - i.e., there are books about all kinds of Buddhism, with HHDL and Zen seeming to lead. But there are virtually no Jodo Shinshu titles, which suprises me because Shin has so many adherents. Perhaps most of those are in Asia and booksellers think that Shin is too unknown in the West to merit publishing. However, there are large pockets of Shin in North America alone, so I wonder why Shin is so under-represented. Granted, Shin sources and resources can be found on line, in blogs and sangha urls - and, of course, in on line bookstores. But I was just wondering if the lack of Shin materials in bookstores baffles or irritates othes besides myself. Thanks in advance for any views people might share.
steveb1

Re: Jodo Shinshu under-represented?

Postby plwk » Wed May 28, 2014 2:07 am

Maybe the Shin folks should start producing 10 books a month, their adherents start buying minimum 3 books per month and using every form of marketing avenue?
That should not only change the marketing landscape drastically but also put Shin on the map of bookstore market share and monopoly?
And maybe, just maybe, believing that they have the large numbers, there's a laid back attitude tolerated with regards to your raised concern?
plwk

Postby steveb1 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:16 am

plwk wrote:Maybe the Shin folks should start producing 10 books a month, their adherents start buying minimum 3 books per month and using every form of marketing avenue?
That should not only change the marketing landscape drastically but also put Shin on the map of bookstore market share and monopoly?

I like that ... I have zero business acumen, but obviously the first thing would be to get some new books out there, hopefully with "catchy American-appeal" titles. Then Shinners would buy the books, boosting amazon.com-type sales and perhaps getting physical books on the shelves as well. Of course, it shouldn't operate like Scientology "best seller" campaigns where followers are expected to run out and purchase every last Scientological publication/book/DVD, etc. asap.
But creating a new US/North American market is the necessary first step. Thanks for your reply.
steveb1

Postby PorkChop » Wed May 28, 2014 4:13 am

Maybe check places like the BCA Bookstore. There are lots of books on Shin Buddhism, they just don't get so much attention from places like Tricycle or Shambala. The publishers tend to be in-house so they don't get distributed at places like the Corporate Body of the Buddha Educational Foundation, Buddhanet, or any place like that. If you look hard enough, there's a lot out there, even on Amazon.
PorkChop

Postby steveb1 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:59 pm

PorkChop wrote:Maybe check places like the BCA Bookstore. There are lots of books on Shin Buddhism, they just don't get so much attention from places like Tricycle or Shambala. The publishers tend to be in-house so they don't get distributed at places like the Corporate Body of the Buddha Educational Foundation, Buddhanet, or any place like that. If you look hard enough, there's a lot out there, even on Amazon.

Thanks for the info, porkchop ... I suppose Amazon and BCA are great sources, and if the public is interested, that's where they would go. The "plan" would be to get the public as interested as possible, in the long run...!

:)
steveb1

Return to Pure Land