Translation of Pure Land Rebirth Dhāraṇī

ananda

Translation of Pure Land Rebirth Dhāraṇī

Post by ananda »

namo amitābhāya tathāgatāya tadyathā
amṛtabhave amṛtasaṃbhave
amṛtavikrānte amṛtavikrāntagāmini
gagana kīrtīchare svāhā

I'm looking for a word for word translation of this dharani. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it. This dharani is mentioned in Wikipedia's Amitabha Sutra article.

Here's a variation I'm listening to on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrv_c9QujM
These are the lyrics I saw on the video: Namo Amitabhaya, Tathagataya, Tadyatha, Amrtod Bhave, Amrta Siddham Bhave, Amrtra Vi-krante, Amrta Vi-kranta, Gamini Gagana, Kirti-Kare, Svaha.

In the video I notciced that amrtasambhave sounds like it was changed to Amrta Siddham Bhave. Why ?
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
Aemilius

Re: Translation of Pure Land Rebirth Dhāraṇī

Post by Aemilius »

Here in Dharma Wheel there is a thread about the Ten Small Dharani, or Dasa Cula Dharani in sanskrit. Rebirth Dharani is included, and there are word for word explanations for all of them:
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... ll+dharani
There exist several different versions of the Rebirth Dharani or the Rebirth Mantra, some versions of the mantra are much longer than others.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Return to “Pure Land”