Buddha-lands and Pure-Lands

Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Buddha-lands and Pure-Lands

Post by Admin_PC »

zamotcr wrote:What I concluded is that whatever a Pure Land is or where is it, the important thing is that Pure Lands are real and they do exist, but we cannot comprehend it. We are limited by our mind. I only know that our "impure world" is created by our karma, and the pure lands are created by Buddha's merit. Also, Pure Lands likes Amitabha's one, seems that are not subject to samsaric issues like death or suffering, so my only logical reasoning is that Amitabha's Pure Land is outside our physical universe, perhaps another dimension outside samsara, reward land (opposing to this physical universe), who knows?
:good:

But I think instead of worrying about the location, or that the Pure Land is some far off place you go to, I think it might be more advantageous to consider it a higher state of being. There are a lot of stories in Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana of people encountering devas, bodhisattvas, and even entire realms that people in the same room can not perceive. "Dimension" might be applicable, but when I think "dimension", I think height, width, depth, time, etc (of course if the Pure Land exists outside of time, then the comparison with dimension is totally valid). My personal take is a bit more agnostic: I know the sutra describes something that is true in some way but I won't be able to perceive it until I'm ready to go. :)
zamotcr

Post by zamotcr »

PorkChop wrote:
zamotcr wrote:What I concluded is that whatever a Pure Land is or where is it, the important thing is that Pure Lands are real and they do exist, but we cannot comprehend it. We are limited by our mind. I only know that our "impure world" is created by our karma, and the pure lands are created by Buddha's merit. Also, Pure Lands likes Amitabha's one, seems that are not subject to samsaric issues like death or suffering, so my only logical reasoning is that Amitabha's Pure Land is outside our physical universe, perhaps another dimension outside samsara, reward land (opposing to this physical universe), who knows?

But I think instead of worrying about the location, or that the Pure Land is some far off place you go to, I think it might be more advantageous to consider it a higher state of being. There are a lot of stories in Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana of people encountering devas, bodhisattvas, and even entire realms that people in the same room can not perceive. "Dimension" might be applicable, but when I think "dimension", I think height, width, depth, time, etc (of course if the Pure Land exists outside of time, then the comparison with dimension is totally valid). My personal take is a bit more agnostic: I know the sutra describes something that is true in some way but I won't be able to perceive it until I'm ready to go. :)
Yes, yes, yes! :D exactly like that :D
Osho

Post by Osho »

PorkChop wrote:

+1
Attempting to describe or define Pure Land.
Gotta be a tough call.
I've never been to Las Vegas, no point trying to describe it to anyone.
Impressions of Vegas derived from media, OK; those I might take a pitch at but what it's like to 'be' in Vegas.
I'd need to go there to find that out.
( I don't especially want to go to Vegas BTW).
:smile:
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).

Return to “Pure Land”