No Proofs of Sucessful Rebirths?&Are Pure Land sutras real?

rory

Re: No Proofs of Sucessful Rebirths?&Are Pure Land sutras real?

Post by rory »

Gassho Contra and everyone;
I'm glad you are well & yes, this happened to me in 2003 & I'm fine, perfect.

Let me tell you what my Jodo monk (also euro-american) told me when I was starting out. I had said to him: "I'd like to believe in Amida and the Western Pure Land but I don't."
He replied; "You don't have to believe, you just need the aspiration to believe, that's enough. Chant nembutsu and you'll get faith."

Buddhism is experiential and he was totally right. I went on chanting and indeed have great faith in Amida and believe in the Western Pure Land & of course had proofs...But Contra you have to practice, no one can give you proofs; this is buddhism and you have to do it for yourself.

Now as to Pure Land, these are some of the oldest sutras recorded! They came from around Afghanistan and were translated around the 2nd century C.E. There was Pure Land practice before there was Ch'an in China....So if you have some idea that it is 'new' that's historically incorrect. Now if you wonder if Shakyamuni actually preached this sutra, well there was no one there to record his words -about any sutras. So it's a waste of time. I'm quite pragmatic, I tried many dharma gates and found lots of evidence that Pure Land worked for many, so I figured it would work for me. And it has.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

^ You spoke well. Thank you.
It’s eye blinking.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Yes, i agree with Lastlegend: well spoken Rory :)

Rory, did you have more "evidences" of pure land/Amida/Medicine Buddha existence, besides the ones you told us (about your health problem and healing, etc)?

The ones i had i already told them here. But i can resume it again. I also must tell that in my case they are not exatcly what i would call as "strong" evidence.

Anyway, here goes:

1- There was a time when my recitation was intense and then i had a very detailed dream of something that happened. The dream was about something unprobable to happen and a few hours later it happened. This thing (dream & happen) occured 2 times. And when i saay 2 times i am talking about dreams about very specific and unprobable things.

2- When i do nembutsu i feel some kind of inner peace that i wouldnt consider normal, because its almost like a "physical" peace, peace that is really touching me. I cant explain.

3- I had a physical problem (tinnitus) and maybe because of my recitations (Medicine Buddha mantra) i gor healed. I didnt expect to get healed of such problem, given many aspects of the disease itself. But as i said, i cannot say exactly what was behind the healing process (farmacology? Medicine Buddha Mantra? etc).
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nosta wrote:Yes, i agree with Lastlegend: well spoken Rory :)

Rory, did you have more "evidences" of pure land/Amida/Medicine Buddha existence, besides the ones you told us (about your health problem and healing, etc)?

The ones i had i already told them here. But i can resume it again. I also must tell that in my case they are not exatcly what i would call as "strong" evidence.

Anyway, here goes:

1- There was a time when my recitation was intense and then i had a very detailed dream of something that happened. The dream was about something unprobable to happen and a few hours later it happened. This thing (dream & happen) occured 2 times. And when i saay 2 times i am talking about dreams about very specific and unprobable things.

2- When i do nembutsu i feel some kind of inner peace that i wouldnt consider normal, because its almost like a "physical" peace, peace that is really touching me. I cant explain.

3- I had a physical problem (tinnitus) and maybe because of my recitations (Medicine Buddha mantra) i gor healed. I didnt expect to get healed of such problem, given many aspects of the disease itself. But as i said, i cannot say exactly what was behind the healing process (farmacology? Medicine Buddha Mantra? etc).
it is said that if one recites the dharani of Bhaisajyaguru Buddha seven times everyday, one will be reborn in Medicine Buddha's pure land.

N
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Medicine Buddha is my OM boy
Medicine Buddha is my OM boy
Bhaisajya20Guru20Buddha2001-2.jpg (32.57 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
rory

Post by rory »

Namdrol, yes absolutely there are other pure lands, is Medicine Buddha's Lapis Lazuli Pure Land non-retrogressive like Amida Buddha's? I know Tushita Heaven isn't, which is why I don't pray to be born there, (as if that would happen;-)

About other evidences, first let me say I'd practiced since 1996, so that's 7 years of practice until 2003 & I consider what happened more than enough. But yes, I do have more experiences.
1. Earlier in the 90's when I first started I'd feel surrounded with golden light.
2. In 2004 I went for 10 day hard training session at a temple. I was afraid of the heat, it was around 22 C, I prayed to Guan Yin and the next day it was overcast and cool & a bit refreshingly rainy. Everyone remarked on the strange weather. At the end of the 10 day session which I completed, at the closing service, the sun came out and it was normally hot.
3. In 2005 I returned to the temple, but was in better shape, but there was a 40K marathon walk in the heat in the mountains. I prayed to Guan Yin to help me accomplish this. When I went to start, the sky clouded over & it was quite cool, even light refreshing rain all the time I was walking. (only finished 20K & fainted but did that much)
4. At the temple I experienced small samadhi, after that I would have small samadhi chanting Nenbutsu. when I chant daily I'm filled with faith and strength.

These are all my experiences, at one time I chanted 1,000 Nenbutsu nightly. This was 3 years ago; but due to being a regular person with afflictions I became lazy. I'm now going back to chanting 500 nenbutsu daily & then up to 1,000. Make yourself a plan. Get a mala and chant 108, nightly. It's very important to have a reasonable goal & stick to it. Anyone can chant 1 mala. When I chant it takes 15 minutes, we all have 15 minutes to devote to the Dharma. This is the most important advice I can give. My wonderful teacher the monk Jo-An said; "Just chant Nenbutsu."
with gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Return to “Pure Land”