YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

protocol for visiting - Dhamma Wheel

protocol for visiting

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Hiawassee

protocol for visiting

Postby Hiawassee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:59 pm

hi all,

i practice mahasi vipassana, mostly on my own. i have been away from meditation for some years and now that im getting back into it, i see that one of mahasi's students, chanmyay sayadaw, has started a vihara on 30 miles from my home. (cool coincidence, huh?) anyhow, i plan to visit the monks (there are 2 resident monk/teachers), and i was wondering if there is any protocol for visiting a vihara? i dont want to show up empty handed but what should i bring? i know they except donations from students, and cash is definitely the main form of dana here in america. any help is appreciated, as this is my local sangha and not some distant retreat, i dont want to go there ignorant.

thank you

daverupa

Re: protocol for visiting

Postby daverupa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:22 pm

On , I read the following:

"Regular meditation sessions are offered. These sessions generally can include meditation instruction, time for walking and sitting meditation, question and answer periods, and a Dhamma talk. Any one who wishes to go into days long meditation retreat, or come to the center for a few hours' sitting under the tutelage of two Sayadaws can do so at any time. It requires only to telephone ahead to set up the appointment time."

I would call, and ask that question at that time.

:heart:

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”