YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Iddhis: "real" or not? - Dhamma Wheel

Iddhis: "real" or not?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

The iddhis are "real", i.e. they are supernormal powers that can interact with the physical world
84%
This iddhis are not "real", i.e. they are purely mental phenomena (created by the brain) like lucid dreams or out of body experiences
16%

Total votes: 19

Moggalana

Postby Moggalana » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 pm

What do you think or believe? Please share your opinion.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.

santa100

Re: Iddhis: "real" or not?

Postby santa100 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:38 pm

According to: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html , there's a possibility that it's "real".....but.....only for those who have attained the state of fermentation-free awareness-release and discernment-release..

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:16 am

my views

All powers are mental phenomen as is the "real world" which it is suggested that the iddhis interact with.....my reference is the suttas "The All" and any of those directly describing the meaning of "the world" (i.e. "The World" sutta).
chownah

ground

Postby ground » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:46 am

They are as "real" as dukkha is "real" ... Having said this I do not know what option to select.

Kind regards

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:04 am

I votes "yes" but I don't feel it is important for practice to believe one or the other.

It is important to have an open mind, however.
_/|\_

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:34 am

I tend to agree with you Dan.
Unfortunately for the vast majority of people the iddhis are effectively unreal in the truest sense of the word as they have no experience of them or are likely to. Like any real spiritual attainment and the Buddha's admonition to monks who demonstrated iddhis to lay people, I think that anyone posessing iddhis are not likely to announce them. Anyone who does so, in my book, are charletains, deluded or both.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 am

"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV

Moggalana

Postby Moggalana » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:04 am

Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:30 am

Iddhis will be supranormal, then, if present at all, and I think we need not take the full iddhi template in toto. Swimming through earth? An Upanisadic power ascribed to the Vedic ancients; used in the mendicant debates of the day as a rhetorical tool; metaphorically interpreted according to the four elements scheme as signifying utter lack of clinging to an element thus enabling 'swimming through it' - these all seem more likely than a literal reading or seeing it as purely mythical.

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:42 am

nathan

Postby nathan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:25 am

A related link.
A discussion of developing what some refer to as iddhis in this PDF document:

Ten kasinas & others.pdf

"This is a translation of Pa Auk Sayadaw’s Dhamma talk on MahaAssapura Sutta. However the chapters ‘The Ten Kasinas’ and ‘The Four Immaterial Jhanas’ are adapted from the book Knowing and Seeing so as to avoid repetition in translation work. Only a slight editing has been added to these excerpts. These additions are from the translation of the MahaAssapura Sutta dhamma talk. The rest of the other chapters are translated directly from the aforesaid Dhamma talk in Burmese. The style of translation follows the Burmese way of speaking as used during the talk."

http://www.visuddha-m-c.com/vmc%20sg/.. ... others.pdf
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:05 pm

nathan

Postby nathan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:35 pm

But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

befriend

Postby befriend » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:47 am

the minds potential for growth is limitless in terms of devoping morality by doing so we increase our energy. if everything is made of energy, including humans, and humans have the ability to increaese there psycho energetic state to what is incredible vast, why is it so hard that anything would be impossible.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

icyteru

Postby icyteru » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:05 pm

The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”