YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

DO not depending on avijja and sankhara? - Page 7 - Dhamma Wheel

DO not depending on avijja and sankhara?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Re: DO not depending on avijja and sankhara?

Postby mikenz66 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:58 am

Hi Retro,

I'm basically agnostic about the version of DO and so on, but I'm quite comfortable with Ven Nanananda's analysis. I honestly can't see how time-delineated or not or "reality" or not makes any difference to the instructions of any teacher I am familiar with. That's why I'm asking.

Instructions I am most familiar with make use of the Satipathana Sutta, and the obvious parts of DO that are observable in any model (contact, feeling, craving, clinging) order to see though the delusion of self, etc. Which seems to me to be what the Suttas are asking us to do.

The things you are concerned about are, to me, things that will, one hopes, become clear as one progresses on the path. Such analysis is interesting, but I don't expect to be able to work out what nibbana is like by analysis. You seem to me to have a particular view on how the path will unfold. I'm comfortable with the idea that I have little idea of exactly how it will unfold.

:anjali:
Mike

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu May 05, 2011 1:12 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu May 05, 2011 1:16 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:21 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 05, 2011 1:24 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu May 05, 2011 1:29 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 05, 2011 1:30 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu May 05, 2011 1:51 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 05, 2011 1:53 am

:goodpost:

Well said.

Metta,
Retro. :)

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu May 05, 2011 4:54 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu May 05, 2011 5:04 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 05, 2011 5:48 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 05, 2011 6:34 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu May 05, 2011 6:41 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu May 05, 2011 6:52 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:04 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:06 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 05, 2011 8:53 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”