Pureland study group anyone?

Re: Pureland study group anyone?

Postby PorkChop » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:56 am

Nosta wrote:In the first discussion here, about the smaller sutra, I wasnt very present. It was right after the birth of my child. I hope I can be more present in the next dicussion; at least present to read more carefully even if I dont participate a lot.

Porkchop, we could start by the larger sutra. Thats ok for me.

And we could start right now, then other people would join :)

I'm going to wait a bit longer to see how many people are up for it.
I'm in the middle of a certification class and a bunch of craziness going on with work, so I want to tackle this slowly.
In fact, if I'm entering it in line-by-line like last time, I may only work on one passage a week to give people time to respond.
May take a year to get through, but I have a feeling the final product would be better, especially given everything I'm juggling.
PorkChop

Postby Son of Buddha » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:48 am

PorkChop wrote:
Nosta wrote:In the first discussion here, about the smaller sutra, I wasnt very present. It was right after the birth of my child. I hope I can be more present in the next dicussion; at least present to read more carefully even if I dont participate a lot.

Porkchop, we could start by the larger sutra. Thats ok for me.

And we could start right now, then other people would join :)

I'm going to wait a bit longer to see how many people are up for it.
I'm in the middle of a certification class and a bunch of craziness going on with work, so I want to tackle this slowly.
In fact, if I'm entering it in line-by-line like last time, I may only work on one passage a week to give people time to respond.
May take a year to get through, but I have a feeling the final product would be better, especially given everything I'm juggling.

Sounds good Im game
Son of Buddha

Postby Nosta » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:15 am

Porkchop, thats ok to me. I am in too.
Nosta

Postby PorkChop » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Requests for commentaries.
As I'm planning on running through the Amitayus/Infinite Life/Longer Sukhavati Sutra,
I was wondering if anybody has any commentaries they'd like to see added?

So far I'm planning to take the commentary from Rulu's book, any commentary notes
from the 3 Pure Land Sutras book from the BDK, and Ven Chin Kung's commentary...

Here are some of the links:
Chin Kung's Passages from the Commentary on the Infinite Life Sutra
Excerpts from Chin Kung's Commentary on the Infinite Life Sutra
Online version of Rulu's translation. I'll still be hand-typing it, but here's the original if people want to see proper dialectic marks.
Online version of Rulu's translation of Vasubandhu's Upadeśa on the Sūtra of Amitāyus Buddha
Another copy of the Vasubandhu work from Hisao Inagaki
Payne's commentary on the Vasubandhu work
Audio commentaries on the Infinite Life Sutra from Tinh Thu Quan (though might actually be Ven Chin Kung)

Trying to find a copy of Honen's Muryoju Kyo, but so far no luck...
Can anybody else think of any other commentaries for this sutra?
PorkChop

Postby Son of Buddha » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:26 pm

PorkChop wrote:Requests for commentaries.
As I'm planning on running through the Amitayus/Infinite Life/Longer Sukhavati Sutra,
I was wondering if anybody has any commentaries they'd like to see added?

So far I'm planning to take the commentary from Rulu's book, any commentary notes
from the 3 Pure Land Sutras book from the BDK, and Ven Chin Kung's commentary...

Here are some of the links:
Chin Kung's Passages from the Commentary on the Infinite Life Sutra
Excerpts from Chin Kung's Commentary on the Infinite Life Sutra
Online version of Rulu's translation. I'll still be hand-typing it, but here's the original if people want to see proper dialectic marks.
Online version of Rulu's translation of Vasubandhu's Upadeśa on the Sūtra of Amitāyus Buddha
Another copy of the Vasubandhu work from Hisao Inagaki
Payne's commentary on the Vasubandhu work
Audio commentaries on the Infinite Life Sutra from Tinh Thu Quan (though might actually be Ven Chin Kung)

Trying to find a copy of Honen's Muryoju Kyo, but so far no luck...
Can anybody else think of any other commentaries for this sutra?

is there one about Bodhisattva Dharmakara????
in the begining of the sutra he was "creating" a Pure Land, after "creating" the Pure Land he became Amitabha Buddha.......I would like commentary on his actual process.and how his creation of the Pure Land corrisponded to him attaining Enlightenment....also how his Pure Mind corrisponds to his Pure Land.

peace and love
Son of Buddha

Postby PorkChop » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Son of Buddha wrote:is there one about Bodhisattva Dharmakara????
in the begining of the sutra he was "creating" a Pure Land, after "creating" the Pure Land he became Amitabha Buddha.......I would like commentary on his actual process.and how his creation of the Pure Land corrisponded to him attaining Enlightenment....also how his Pure Mind corrisponds to his Pure Land.

peace and love

Err, I don't know if I've ever heard of a commentary covering that ground, but I'll see if I can find something.
I'm tempted to scour the Kyougyoushinshou & Tannishou from Shin Buddhism, Honen's Senchakushu, Visions of Sukhavati for commentary from Shantao, the Thich Thien Tam books, and anything else I've got on the shelf that might possibly cover the Amitayus Sutra... but that could take a while.
PorkChop

Previous

Return to Pure Land