Practicing Daimoku with Paganism/ Monasticism

Practicing Daimoku with Paganism/ Monasticism

Postby ananda » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:53 am

I have been making chanting the Daimoku a daily routine and I was just wondering in Nichiren Buddhism is deity worship prohibited ?
The reason I ask is because I have taken a recent interest in paganism mainly the Ancient Greek religion and I wanted to know if this is wrong or prohibited

My second question is if there are any monasteries in North America that dedicate themselves to the practice of Nichiren Buddhism ?

I'll start posting here because it seems more appropriate and I said I wouldn't be posting in the other section for some weeks
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
ananda

Re: Practicing Daimoku with Paganism/ Monasticism

Postby Indrajala » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:44 am

ananda wrote:I have been making chanting the Daimoku a daily routine and I was just wondering in Nichiren Buddhism is deity worship prohibited ?
The reason I ask is because I have taken a recent interest in paganism mainly the Ancient Greek religion and I wanted to know if this is wrong or prohibited

My second question is if there are any monasteries in North America that dedicate themselves to the practice of Nichiren Buddhism ?

I'll start posting here because it seems more appropriate and I said I wouldn't be posting in the other section for some weeks

Well, in Japan the difference between Shinto and Buddhism was not strictly emphasized until the late 19th century. A lot, if not most, temples had a Shinto shrine on site to some deity, but that was mostly done to ensure peaceful relations with the local deity / deities rather than seeking salvation through them.

If you're interested in the Greek pantheon and want to emulate the old practices, you'd have to sacrifice animals on an altar, which is horrible karma and just plain wrong.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Re: Practicing Daimoku with Paganism/ Monasticism

Postby ananda » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks for the response :smile:
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
ananda

Return to Nichiren