Nichiren Resources?

Nichiren Resources?

Postby ylee111 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:54 am

I notice in the other sections of East Asian Buddhism, there are resources listed for materials that best transmit the teachings of the respective schools. So, what are some good books and websites that explain the beliefs and practices of Nichiren Shoshu and Nichiren Shu, respectively?
ylee111

Re: Nichiren Resources?

Postby dude » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:21 am

dude

Postby ylee111 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 am

If I visit NIchiren Shoshu's Myosetsuji in New York, do you think as an outsider, they would let me purchase books on Nichiren Shoshu? Same question in regards to Daiseion-Ji.
ylee111

Postby dude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:14 am

I don't know.
You might have better luck at an SGI community center, where they'll be glad to help you with whatever you want.
dude

Postby ylee111 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:04 pm

http://nichiren-shu.org/books.html Of the books listed on this site, which are the best to learn the basic rituals and beliefs?
ylee111

Postby dude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:08 pm

You will need someone to teach you.
Start by chanting nam myoho renge kyo.
The right person will appear in your environment.
dude

Postby dude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:39 pm

The basic ritual is chanting nam myoho renge kyo to the Gohonzon, the mandala inscribed by Nichiren Daishonin.
The basic belief is that the title of the Lotus Sutra, myoho renge kyo, is the essence of all the Buddha's teachings, and chanting it is the direct way to enlightenment, the only way to gain good karma in the Latter Day of the Law.
Chant for specific things that you want to see happen, for proof that it works.
dude

Postby illarraza » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:58 am

ylee111 wrote:http://nichiren-shu.org/books.html Of the books listed on this site, which are the best to learn the basic rituals and beliefs?

Set up an altar with a bell, water cup for daily water offering, offering bowl [for fresh fruit offerings usually], vase for fresh flowers or evergreens. a candle holder and candle, and incense burner. Until you print and mount or have bestowed upon you a copy of a scriptured Gohonzon, you may place a statue of Shakyamuni Buddha with a copy of the Lotus Sutra placed before it. Recite Namu Myoho renge kyo daily, usually morning and evening, and recite the Namu Myoho renge kyo before and after, principally the 2nd and 16th chapters of the Lotus Sutra using any Sutra book from any denomination [except the Honmon Butsuryu Shu]. Please forego the sectarian prayers before and after the 2nd and 16th chapters until you feel comfortable with the rituals and the teachings and then you can either adopt the pre and post sutra chanting prayers from whichever sect [except the Nichiren Shoshu and the Soka Gakkai] or create your own based on the Lotus Sutra itself and/or the writings of Nichiren Daishonin. You may chant the 2nd and 16th chapters in Sino-Japanese or english. The reason we do not chant the Daimoku or Namu Myoho renge kyo in English [or any other language] is because it is the proper name for the Law or highest most profound teaching in this age of the Latter Day of the Law. Contact me and I will send you a Sutra book.

illarraza
illarraza

Return to Nichiren