Experiences with daimoku

Experiences with daimoku

Postby dyanaprajna2011 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:43 am

I thought it would be interesting to see what people have experienced or gained through the practice of chanting daimoku. So post your stories here.

Personally, I have gained energy, especially while at work (I work third shift on an assembly line, so it helps a great deal), I have lessened greatly my usage of inappropriate language, it helped me to quit drinking, and has even given me a little insight into the interdependence of all things. It's also helped me to get a better hold of my anger and temper.
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen

Re: Experiences with daimoku

Postby Myoho-Nameless » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:52 pm

I can say I am better off generally speaking since I took up this practice. More recently I have had to change my sleeping habits, I am not a teen but still, having to wake up at 5 am seemed a living hell to me, moving my precious time around to do the very topic of this thread, chant. But I can actually wake and chant now, first thing. No big deal? to me it is. And actually getting ready for sleepy time at 8 or 9 when my video games beckon. Im a lazy guy, that little dose of discipline is a huge deal to me. It came more from the organization of time devoted to chanting, rather than the chanting itself, but I feel like that is a part of the process.

Something bad may happen to my family (or not, I dislike not knowing) these days, I don't want to say what, but as a guy prone to anxiety, that too is not as big a deal as it would be before I chanted. I eat better, exercise more, and am less antisocial and have less of a lame personality, more willing to say things when normally I would not, when I needed to or when I should. I appreciate nature more and developing and interest in gardening.

I am still marred by bad habits of mind that I developed in my childhood, teens, and the past few years, but slowly I can actually be more optimistic.
"Yes, historically men have been been pillars of strength. But even Atlas shrugged. And so will you. Many times I assure you"-Barbarossa

"The other type of man, living only for himself, working only for himself, doing first one thing and then another simply because he enjoys it and because he has to keep only himself, sleeping where and when he wants, and facing woman when he meets her on equal terms and not as one of a million slaves, is rejected by society. The free, unshackled man has no place in its midst."-Esther Vilar

Return to Nichiren