Independent Nichiren Buddhists?

dyanaprajna2011

Independent Nichiren Buddhists?

Post by dyanaprajna2011 »

I've recently been considering changing my school from Zen to Nichiren Buddhism, for a variety of reasons. I'm not really thrilled with the sectarianism of the various schools, but I've been hearing of independent practitioners. Does anyone here know anything about them, or have any information on them?
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen
dude

Re: Independent Nichiren Buddhists?

Post by dude »

dyanaprajna2011 wrote:I've recently been considering changing my school from Zen to Nichiren Buddhism, for a variety of reasons. I'm not really thrilled with the sectarianism of the various schools, but I've been hearing of independent practitioners. Does anyone here know anything about them, or have any information on them?
I don't, What have you heard? Or are you talking about the groups who split from Nichiren Shoshu?
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I can verify that independent practitioners exist, and that they practice. It's hard to generalize further than that.

I know of some persons who practice regularly at home, and occasionally with a temple or group that may be some distance away. Geography is a factor here. People practice on their own as best they can when they can't practice with others (this is true across Buddhist traditions).

What to do then? Find a way to practice that speaks to you, inspires you, and that you have the means to practice... practice it as best you can with all your heart.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

In the USA, there are nearly as many independent Nichiren practitioners as there are members of organized groups, save for the Soka Gakkai [if you can call them Nichiren Buddhists]. You can check out and communicate with Independent "Nichiren" Buddhists at the Independent Sangha on yahoo groups.

illarraza
dyanaprajna2011

Post by dyanaprajna2011 »

dude wrote:I don't, What have you heard? Or are you talking about the groups who split from Nichiren Shoshu?
I don't think they split from any one group, they just decided that they didn't want to be part of any of the groups, like Soka Gakkai, Nichiren Shu, or Nicheren Shoshu.
illarraza wrote:In the USA, there are nearly as many independent Nichiren practitioners as there are members of organized groups, save for the Soka Gakkai [if you can call them Nichiren Buddhists]. You can check out and communicate with Independent "Nichiren" Buddhists at the Independent Sangha on yahoo groups.
Thank you for that info.
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen
rory

Post by rory »

Here we go the Independent Nichiren Buddhist locater:) You have to register first. But it's very helpful. http://nblocater.org/
as a Nichiren Buddhist it's very easy to be Independent as there are so many Indy Nbuddhists out there.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Dharma Bum

Post by Dharma Bum »

Hello all

By way of introduction, I have been in times past a member of both SGI and Nichiren Shoshu temple. Kicked the tires with a small Nichiren Shu sangha that didn't last long (or maybe I just lost track of them).

Went independent some years ago. It gets lonely sometimes, and makes it easy to be lazy toward practice, but in some ways it's a better path for an old dharma bum. And nobody complains when I let the Telecaster do the chanting.

cheers,
an old bum
Entering through the Telecaster Dharma Gate
robby

Post by robby »

Dharma Bum wrote:Hello all

By way of introduction, I have been in times past a member of both SGI and Nichiren Shoshu temple. Kicked the tires with a small Nichiren Shu sangha that didn't last long (or maybe I just lost track of them).

Went independent some years ago. It gets lonely sometimes, and makes it easy to be lazy toward practice, but in some ways it's a better path for an old dharma bum. And nobody complains when I let the Telecaster do the chanting.

cheers,
an old bum

Where's the like button?
johntate

Post by johntate »

Hi - I joined the SGI in 1979 in San Francisco, but left them in 1986. When the Nichiren Shoshu temple and the SGI separated in 1991, I transferred with my spouse and four children to the temple. While my wife continues to align herself with the temple, I do not. Nevertheless, I continue with my morning and evening prayers to the Gohonzon with my wife at home. My children still practice and occasionally, when they visit, do Gongyo with me.

Below is a link to my silent prayers, which I hope everyone who reads this post will consider adapting as their own. They may not be for everyone but, for those who believe that enlightenment is possible without belief in the supernatural and want to free themselves of sectarian righteousness, they may be of great help to your practice.

https://sites.google.com/site/buddhistr ... nt-prayers

Thank you,
John Tate, Vallejo, CA
[email protected]
dsaly1969

Post by dsaly1969 »

I've made a similar switch myself in terms of my home practice towards my own independent practice. I started in SGI in the last decade but it was not the best fit for me. I explored other Buddhist options and settled into Rissho Kosei-kai which is still Lotus Sutra-centered but more "easy going" in attitude than SGI. RKK also puts a lot of focus into studying essential Buddhist teachings starting from the Theravada canon so one can understand how those develop into insights expressed in the Lotus Sutra and the teaching of ichinen sanzen. RKK places a little more practice focus on chanting excerpts from multiple chapters from the Lotus Sutra as less of marathon O-Daimoku chanting (for most English speakers this is recited in English so we understand what we are saying). At the beginning of the year I was feeling a need to back away from such a liturgical heavy practice as daily Kyoten/Gongyo (Kyoten is the RKK version of Gongyo), so I backed away into a much simpler practice of Taking Refuge in the Three Treasures, mindfulness practice, and Dharma study.

I'm now at a point where I feel the need to reintegrate Ekayana (One Vehicle - Lotus Sutra) Buddhist practices back into my practice but without being quite as liturgy heavy as before in either the SGI Gongyo or RKK Kyoten format. I guess I am moving more towards an "easy going" interpretation of HBS (Honmon Butsuryū-shū) with more primary focus on O-Daimoku chanting only and studying the Lotus Sutra and core Buddhist teachings as part of Dharma study. So instead of all of the formal liturgical elements of Kyoten my twice daily practice would look like this: a brief Buddhadharma study of the Lotus Sutra and core materials (I still find "Buddhism for Today" by Nikkyo Niwano of RKK is still a good work to connect the Lotus Sutra to core essential Buddhist teachings and how they build upon each other). If I feel the need for sitting meditation, I can always do shodaigyo. Technically I am still a member of RKK but tend to prefer daily home practice to larger meetings.

What kind of independent practice were you moving towards?
Jechan

Post by Jechan »

Hey sdaly1969,
I saw in a post that you said you are leaning toward HBS? Thats great!
Im a HBS practitioner and would love to answer any questions you may have. Just send me a PM if theres anything youd like to know.
In the meantime check out this great blog by Ryosetsu Ikemoto, a young monk and attendant to the current HBS head priest.

http://ryosetsu.com

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo!
南無妙法蓮華経
dsaly1969

Post by dsaly1969 »

I'm interested in HBS's style of practice, but I'm not sure if I am a good fit for traditional Nichiren Buddhist organizations as I have less interest in shakubuku (frankly my ongoing health issues do not allow me to put much energy into debate and argument anymore) or pressure to attend meetings or long daimoku toso sessions. That was a major reason I switched from Soka Gakkai (SGI) to Rissho Kosei-kai in the first place. The only thing that was really changed after a few years in RKK is that I want to put more practice focus on O-Daimoku rather than sutra recitation than is customary in RKK practice. Other than that I have nothing bad to say about RKK or SGI for that matter.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

dsaly1969 wrote:I'm interested in HBS's style of practice, but I'm not sure if I am a good fit for traditional Nichiren Buddhist organizations as I have less interest in shakubuku (frankly my ongoing health issues do not allow me to put much energy into debate and argument anymore) or pressure to attend meetings or long daimoku toso sessions. That was a major reason I switched from Soka Gakkai (SGI) to Rissho Kosei-kai in the first place. The only thing that was really changed after a few years in RKK is that I want to put more practice focus on O-Daimoku rather than sutra recitation than is customary in RKK practice. Other than that I have nothing bad to say about RKK or SGI for that matter.
Nichiren would agree with you...

"But for your person as a householder the essence is for you to chant 'Namu Myoho renge kyo' with no other thought and also make offerings to the monks. And also, if it is in accord with the sutra text, one should also 'expound it according to one's strength,' shouldn't one?" [Reply to Lord Matsuno]

Illarraza
Mirko Miloro

Post by Mirko Miloro »

Independent Nichiren buddhists is nonsense.
Rita_Repulsa

Post by Rita_Repulsa »

Mirko Miloro wrote:Independent Nichiren buddhists is nonsense.
Arguably so. Especially the "independent" part - independent from who or from what? I simply consider myself a Nichiren Buddhist. But why do you feel this way, Mirko? Tell us, please.
Echo interaction cause and effect the interconnected quality of the absolute truth the foundation of Buddhism laying in this belief in happiness the four immeasurable and cessation of suffering. - tomschwarz

Buddhism is not a Care Bears fantasy (as many westerns think). - Harimoo
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Actually, its not. This was the Independent movement.

The Independent Nichiren movement
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

In a sense, yes. But only insofar as "no man is an island". Most of my study material has probably been a combination of SGI and Nichiren Shu, and some pre split Shoshu, and one or two things that are not attached to any sect as far as I can tell. However, I have never belonged to a group, and I have severe misgivings about the Nichiren Buddhist community such as it is to the effect that to be blunt, I don't really want a whole lot to do with them socially.

I guess I count as an independent nichiren Buddhist. Though I have toyed with "non denominational" as well. I rather like the idea of one vehicle or "ekayana" Buddhism instead.
Queequeg wrote:
Actually, its not. This was the Independent movement.

The Independent Nichiren movement
yeah, what happened to that? I don't think that was at it's peak when I showed up at the ol nichiren sangha (though ION was happening)....bunch of vagabonds get together sick of sectarian fighting and then go their seperate ways?
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Myoho-Nameless wrote: yeah, what happened to that?
Iggy more or less got it in the intro.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Myoho-Nameless wrote: yeah, what happened to that? I don't think that was at it's peak when I showed up at the ol nichiren sangha (though ION was happening)....bunch of vagabonds get together sick of sectarian fighting and then go their seperate ways?
The most radical thing the Indy Movement did was make that prayer mandala available for download. Now others do it, but it was revolutionary then. It blew a lot of people away. It was among the first Nichiren inspired projects to emerge after the start of the digital revolution (look at that website and you get an idea what period of the internet that was). It was a confluence of factors - the NShoshu-SG split, long simmering gripes in NSA/SGI-USA, and the means to connect enabled by the internet. Before that, it was very difficult to see the Mandala anywhere, except in person. I think the only place I had seen a mandala other than enshrined in a home or community center or temple was in that old bio of Nichiren by Anesaki. And when I saw it, I was scandalized because I had been taught to consider the mandala so sacred that it should not be reproduced except under the most solemn circumstances. I still believe that and look at all this downloading mandalas with deep skepticism.

Anyway, what happened?

Independent Movement - the main guy died. It lost steam after that.

ION - the main guy was laid low by a stroke. It lost steam after that.
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

Queequeg wrote: ION - the main guy was laid low by a stroke. It lost steam after that.
I remember that. Sad. I still have the prayer book at least.

its like we are in some bardo state, not sure what form the community will take. ah well, push forward.
Queequeg wrote: And when I saw it, I was scandalized because I had been taught to consider the mandala so sacred that it should not be reproduced except under the most solemn circumstances. I still believe that and look at all this downloading mandalas with deep skepticism.
bought mine off ebay, that used to bother me.

downloaded my mini version but, sometimes I consider cremating it since I usually forget to bring it on trips. I was day dreaming about using a projector, after all, "real" gohonzons might just be digital information anyway. like everything else.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia

Return to “Nichiren”