YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Disabilities and re-birth - Dhamma Wheel

Disabilities and re-birth

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
greggorious

Disabilities and re-birth

Postby greggorious » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:45 am

I work in theatre, and more specifically, Inclusive theatre, which means I work with a lot of people who are physically and/or mentally disabled. I find it impossible to believe that their hadicapes are a result of past Karma, and some people I have spoken to would be extremely offended by this. If fact I know of many people in high places who have lost jobs due to thinking in this way. Also it's worth mentioning that people I know who have Autism, cerebral palsy, downs syndrome, seem perfectly content, despite their "Limitations".
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

Goofaholix

Re: Disabilities and re-birth

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:52 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:55 am

Greetings Greg,

Goof's advice is good. What good could come from such speculation anyway?

Working in the theatre, you are there to help improve people's well-being - focus on that, rather than whatever complex layers of causality may or may not have resulted in these people coming into your theatre.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:00 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:19 am

I'm deaf. I think people will always make of this what they will... and what they see would be a result of their own past kamma... but due to the nature of kamma, I think this can be influenced towards something that is more enlightening.

amtross

Postby amtross » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:22 am

Kamma is not a judgmental process. It does not follow that if you believe in Kamma that you view other people's problems as something they deserve. If you believe in past lives, which I assume you're referring to since the discussion is about people born with disabilities, then you might as well buy the whole ticket and believe that the number of those lives is infinite. That's infinite possibilities to make mistakes. I imagine just about everyone has accrued quite a bit of bad kamma along the way (I know I have). I imagine we've also gathered plenty of good kamma as well. Whether good Kamma or bad Kamma ripens at any given moment is completely dependent on the conditions that are present.

Kamma is always uncertain, that is why we strive to escape from samsara.

May you be well
sean

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:30 am

Retro, all I do is speculate, ask questions and get frustrated that I don't know the answers. I'm a natural born, depressed philospher.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:33 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:24 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:23 am

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:17 pm

I think the only correct way to talk about past kamma would be to build an understanding of how it works, and then use that to lead yourself (and others) out of samsara. Anything beyond that is a waste of time.

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:38 pm

A previous manager of the England football team was sacked for a "controversial belief that the disabled, and others, are being punished for sins in a former life."

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Deaf people today somehow manage to communicate very well without using sound... that is also due to their past kamma. Sign language can be traced 300-400 years ago to a large deaf community in France... just a food for thought. :anjali:

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”