YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

concentration and numbness : question - Dhamma Wheel

concentration and numbness : question

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
delora

concentration and numbness : question

Postby delora » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:37 am

I was wondering whether the qualities (particularly calm) that come with a concentrated mind, are often confused with feeling numb, or repressed? Or is this just a result of penetrating deeper into one's experience - the peripherals and texture of sensations get blotted out, and you are left with a core? (if that makes sense).

For instance, when breathing, I find the more concentrated I am - the more I am aware of the presence of breath, or absence - but I do not focus so much on the feeling of it, ie, its texture, feeling, temperature etc. is this standard in concentration practise?

I guess this is similar to the argument that having a more reactive mind, can make you feel 'more alive'. I know artists who think work on ideas like these. But I am wondering whether I am actually practising concentration, or simply repressing or numbing other sensations and occurrences in the mind..

nathan

Re: concentration and numbness : question

Postby nathan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:06 pm

But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”