Blessed Great Renunciation Day

Blessed Great Renunciation Day

Postby plwk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Today, the 8th March 2014, 8th Day of the 2nd Lunar Month, Upavasatha Day, the Chinese Mahayana Tradition commemorates the Lord's Great Renunciation
plwk

Re: Blessed Great Renunciation Day

Postby plwk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Before my Awakening, when I was still an unawakened Bodhisatta, the thought occurred to me: 'Household life is confining, a dusty path.
Life gone forth is the open air. It isn't easy, living in a home, to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, a polished shell.
What if I, having shaved off my hair & beard and putting on the ochre robe, were to go forth from the household life into homelessness?'
"So at a later time, when I was still young, black-haired, endowed with the blessings of youth in the first stage of life, having shaved off my hair & beard —
though my parents wished otherwise and were grieving with tears on their faces — I put on the ochre robe and went forth from the home life into homelessness.

Maha Saccaka Sutta

"So it is, Ananda. So it is. Even I myself, before my Awakening, when I was still an unawakened Bodhisatta, thought: 'Renunciation is good. Seclusion is good.'
But my heart didn't leap up at renunciation, didn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace.
The thought occurred to me: 'What is the cause, what is the reason, why my heart doesn't leap up at renunciation, doesn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace?' Then the thought occurred to me: 'I haven't seen the drawback of sensual pleasures; I haven't pursued [that theme].
I haven't understood the reward of renunciation; I haven't familiarized myself with it.
That's why my heart doesn't leap up at renunciation, doesn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace.'

Tapussa Sutta

Asvaghosa's Sri Buddhacarita: Book V [Flight] Book VI [The Dismissal of Chaṁdaka]
Abhiniskramana Sutra: Varga 6. The Return of Kandaka
plwk

Re: Blessed Great Renunciation Day

Postby plwk » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:07 am

南无本师释迦牟尼佛 nā mó běn shī shì jiā mù ní fó
Homage to the Root/Fundamental Teacher, Sakyamuni Buddha
plwk

Return to East Asian Buddhism