Great Dragon Krkala Mantra

Great Dragon Krkala Mantra

Postby Ray Rudha » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:07 pm

Most of you are probably familiar with the short Great Dragon Krkala sutra, in which the Dragon is introduced as a transformation of Acala.

There is a mantra given there, which to me feels very corrupted, in the sense of the original Sanskrit having been modified in the Chinese translation and then the back-translation.

Here is the mantra from the sutra version that is common:

Namo sidhi sidhi susidhi sidhi kala laya kuyam Samma masli acama sidhi svaha

And here are two other versions I have found:

NAMO SIDDHI SIDDHI, SU SIDDHI, SIDDHI KARA RAYA, GUHYA SAM MAMA SRI, AJAN MA SIDDHI SVAHA

NAMO SIDDHI SIDDHI, SU SIDDHI, SIDDHI-KARAYA, KULIKA SAMA-SAMA SRI, AJANMA SIDDHI SVAHA

Let's try and work together to figure out which one is most correct. A Sanskrit version of the sutra would help.

http://fodian.xinwenwuzhe.com/world/1206.html
Ray Rudha

Re: Great Dragon Krkala Mantra

Postby Aemilius » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:00 am

Ray Rudha wrote:Most of you are probably familiar with the short Great Dragon Krkala sutra, in which the Dragon is introduced as a transformation of Acala.

There is a mantra given there, which to me feels very corrupted, in the sense of the original Sanskrit having been modified in the Chinese translation and then the back-translation.

Here is the mantra from the sutra version that is common:

Namo sidhi sidhi susidhi sidhi kala laya kuyam Samma masli acama sidhi svaha

And here are two other versions I have found:

NAMO SIDDHI SIDDHI, SU SIDDHI, SIDDHI KARA RAYA, GUHYA SAM MAMA SRI, AJAN MA SIDDHI SVAHA

NAMO SIDDHI SIDDHI, SU SIDDHI, SIDDHI-KARAYA, KULIKA SAMA-SAMA SRI, AJANMA SIDDHI SVAHA

Let's try and work together to figure out which one is most correct. A Sanskrit version of the sutra would help.

http://fodian.xinwenwuzhe.com/world/1206.html

Just ask the Dragon himself, how He feels about these mantras?
svaha
Aemilius

Return to East Asian Buddhism