How does one celebrate the numerous Bodhisattva Birthdays?

How does one celebrate the numerous Bodhisattva Birthdays?

Postby matthewmartin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm in the US, I've taken a liking to Chinese style-Buddhism (after decades of reading mostly popular Zen and Vipassana books). I've been trying to fill out my practice with more practice, such as celebrating holidays.

So I have the City of 10,000 Buddhas calendars and they mention about 1 or 2 Buddha or Bodhisattva birthdays a month. How are these celebrated, both here in the US and abroad?

My googling suggests visiting a Temple (not easy to do on a weekday, not subway accessible), or eating vegetarian for the day (I do that all year, so it doesn't seem like an celebratory activity if you do it every day anyhow).
matthewmartin

Re: How does one celebrate the numerous Bodhisattva Birthday

Postby Zhen Li » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:10 am

Well, do a regular daily liturgy and include some Sutra or Mantra recitation related to that Bodhisattva. I think that's usually how they'd do it. Maybe put up a picture of them too.
Zhen Li

Postby jmlee369 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:13 am

At CTTB itself, most of the Buddha and Bodhisattva days are marked simply by the addition of the Jewelled Censer Praise during the morning ceremony. For the more special occasions, CTTB will host Buddha recitation assemblies, such as the three Guanyin days which are marked by the weeklong Guanyin sessions, with a celebration day during which Universal Bowing (as they call it at CTTB, original term is 普佛) is added to the relevant sutra recitations, as well as other 'festive' events such as liberating animals, viewing of relics, and transmitting the three refuges and five precept. When they mention being vegetarian, they are probably referring to the more narrow practice of Buddhist vegetarianism which excludes eggs, garlic, onion, chives, leeks and the like in addition to meat and seafood, and ideally abstaining from solid food past midday. The term for being vegetarian in this context can also refer to taking the eight precepts.
jmlee369

Postby kirtu » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:13 pm

You can also light a candle (I often go to Catholic churches for this because of the temple problem) and incense (this at home).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Simon E. » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:39 pm

kirtu wrote:You can also light a candle (I often go to Catholic churches for this because of the temple problem) and incense (this at home).

Kirt

Me too. Great places to meditate on weekdays.
Simon E.

Postby Jainarayan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm just catching up on reading, so I may have a few questions...

When one goes into a Catholic church for the meditation and/or candle lighting, do you simply make a respectful bow or nod? When I've been to a Catholic wedding or funeral I did a bow. I consider Jesus something of a bodhisattva, but not God or a god; I didn't feel quite right genuflecting.
Worthy, wise and virtuous: Who is energetic and not indolent, in misfortune unshaken,
flawless in manner and intelligent, such one will honor gain. - Digha Nikaya III 273
Jainarayan

Postby kirtu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:06 am

Jainarayan wrote:I'm just catching up on reading, so I may have a few questions...

When one goes into a Catholic church for the meditation and/or candle lighting, do you simply make a respectful bow or nod? When I've been to a Catholic wedding or funeral I did a bow. I consider Jesus something of a bodhisattva, but not God or a god; I didn't feel quite right genuflecting.

I just light a candle and put my hands together in silent prayer/offering and usually also recite mantra subverbally.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Jainarayan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:18 am

kirtu wrote:
Jainarayan wrote:I'm just catching up on reading, so I may have a few questions...

I just light a candle and put my hands together in silent prayer/offering and usually also recite mantra subverbally.

Kirt

Great, thanks. :)
Worthy, wise and virtuous: Who is energetic and not indolent, in misfortune unshaken,
flawless in manner and intelligent, such one will honor gain. - Digha Nikaya III 273
Jainarayan

Return to East Asian Buddhism