Bodhisattvas/ Buddhas Statues and Etiquette

Bodhisattvas/ Buddhas Statues and Etiquette

Postby ylee111 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:01 am

I am wondering about special precautions I should take in regards to etiquette towards statues of Bodhisattvas and Buddhas. Such as, are there any Bodhisattvas and Buddhas, I should especially refrain having sexual activity in front of? For example, in Catholicism, you should not have sex in front of images of the Virgin Mary (or most female saints for that matter). What about the consumption of meat or intoxicants?

I come from a family of mostly nonpracticing Buddhists so I do not know too much of these things. Is there a website or any guide which helps me on this subject?
ylee111

Re: Bodhisattvas/ Buddhas Statues and Etiquette

Postby shaunc » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:54 am

ylee111 wrote:I am wondering about special precautions I should take in regards to etiquette towards statues of Bodhisattvas and Buddhas. Such as, are there any Bodhisattvas and Buddhas, I should especially refrain having sexual activity in front of? For example, in Catholicism, you should not have sex in front of images of the Virgin Mary (or most female saints for that matter). What about the consumption of meat or intoxicants?

I come from a family of mostly nonpracticing Buddhists so I do not know too much of these things. Is there a website or any guide which helps me on this subject?

I've never heard of any of that. My wife's a practicing catholic & we keep a Virgin Mary statue in the bedroom. We also have a Buddha statue in the lounge room & a Santa niño statue & a Buddha statue in the kitchen & over the years they've seen their share of the action too. All other rooms in the house are statue free but they've all worked out well for us too at times. As far as food goes we're not vegetarian & although I choose not to drink my wife has the odd beer or wine. Come to think of it, the booze has probably helped our sex life more than any of the statues. :twothumbsup:
shaunc

Postby LastLegend » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:51 pm

ylee111 wrote:I am wondering about special precautions I should take in regards to etiquette towards statues of Bodhisattvas and Buddhas. Such as, are there any Bodhisattvas and Buddhas, I should especially refrain having sexual activity in front of? For example, in Catholicism, you should not have sex in front of images of the Virgin Mary (or most female saints for that matter). What about the consumption of meat or intoxicants?

Don't put one in your room. Problem solved.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Konchog1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:01 pm

It's Sexual Misconduct and creates negative karma. It talks about this in the Lam Rim.

Here's a quote from Asvaghosa:

Inappropriate places are ones that are locations of the sublime teaching,
stupas, images, and the like, and bodhisattvas;
And the vicinity of an abbot, a preceptor, or one's parents.
Do not have intercourse in these inappropriate places.

-Dasakusala-karma-patha-nirdesa, P5678: 232.3.5-6
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby Devotionary » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:16 pm

What if, in case of a studio apartment, there is no distinction between rooms--ie, it's just one, big, empty space? Would it be acceptable to have the altar behind a screen, or in a closet-type structure that can be closed off for when we are not in practice?
Devotionary

Postby Konchog1 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Devotionary wrote:What if, in case of a studio apartment, there is no distinction between rooms--ie, it's just one, big, empty space? Would it be acceptable to have the altar behind a screen, or in a closet-type structure that can be closed off for when we are not in practice?
Exactly. As long as you try your best, it'll be fine.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Return to East Asian Buddhism