English Dharmaguptaka and Sarvastivada Vinaya

English Dharmaguptaka and Sarvastivada Vinaya

Postby Zhen Li » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:48 am

Does anyone know if there are English translations of the Dharmaguptaka and Sarvastivada Vinaya available? And if so, are they available online? My searches have been somewhat futile.

Thank you.
Zhen Li

Re: English Dharmaguptaka and Sarvastivada Vinaya

Postby Indrajala » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:56 am

The Dharmagupta Vinaya is in the process of being translated and published. If I recall correctly it is the Numata Foundation sponsoring it. There's also the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya being done.

I don't know about any other projects at the moment.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Michael_Dorfman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:22 pm

Huseng wrote:The Dharmagupta Vinaya is in the process of being translated and published. If I recall correctly it is the Numata Foundation sponsoring it. There's also the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya being done.

You are correct about it being the Numata Foundation/BDK-- they list both the Dharmaguptaka Vinaya (T.1428) and the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya (T.1425) on their activity list here: http://www.bdk.or.jp/english/activity/list.html.
Michael_Dorfman

Postby Zhen Li » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Great, I shall keep an eye on that.
Zhen Li

Postby pueraeternus » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Michael_Dorfman wrote:
Huseng wrote:The Dharmagupta Vinaya is in the process of being translated and published. If I recall correctly it is the Numata Foundation sponsoring it. There's also the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya being done.

You are correct about it being the Numata Foundation/BDK-- they list both the Dharmaguptaka Vinaya (T.1428) and the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya (T.1425) on their activity list here: http://www.bdk.or.jp/english/activity/list.html.

They are also translating the Lankavatara Sutra (T. 671) - looking forward to that!
When I set out to lead humanity along my Golden Path I promised a lesson their bones would remember. I know a profound pattern humans deny with words even while their actions affirm it. They say they seek security and quiet, conditions they call peace. Even as they speak, they create seeds of turmoil and violence.

- Leto II, the God Emperor
pueraeternus

Postby plwk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:03 am

BY, recently I bought this, if it's of any help.
plwk

Postby Huifeng » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:23 pm

I have a copy of the Dharmaguptaka bhiksu pratimoksa, my own translation, for those who need it.

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby Zhen Li » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:57 am

plwk wrote:BY, recently I bought this, if it's of any help.

That is just selections right? Both can hardly be 168 pages if Horner's Theravada Pratimoksa is 3 volumes. :thinking:
I have a copy of the Dharmaguptaka bhiksu pratimoksa, my own translation, for those who need it.

Do you have a digital copy? From Chinese?
Zhen Li

Postby Huifeng » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Ben Yuan wrote:
plwk wrote:BY, recently I bought this, if it's of any help.

That is just selections right? Both can hardly be 168 pages if Horner's Theravada Pratimoksa is 3 volumes. :thinking:

Do you have a digital copy? From Chinese?

PM me.
Huifeng

Postby Tathaaloka Bhikkhuni » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:17 am

_The Discipline in Four Parts - Rules for Nuns According to the Dharmaguptakavinaya_ is a translation of the entire Dharmaguptaka Bhiksuni Vibhanga from Chinese. It can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Discipline-Accord ... 8120818008.

If you are looking for something much lighter,

The Dharmaguptaka Bhiksuni Pratimoksa is translated from Chinese into English here in _Sisters in Solitude_: http://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Solitude- ... 0791430901. You can "look inside" the book :-).

Also, both the Sarvastivada and Dharmaguptaka bhiksuni pratimoksas are translated from Chinese into English here in _Bhikkhuni Patimokkha of the Six Schools_ available freely online on Buddhanet: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/bhikk ... mokkha.pdf.

Best wishes to you!

Wishing you benefit in your studies ~
Tathaaloka Bhikkhuni

Return to East Asian Buddhism