Hsuan Hua on Homosexuality Part 2

Hsuan Hua on Homosexuality Part 2

Postby gingercatni » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Hello

I'm only starting this thread to ad my own opinion and not to incite any anger amongst other members. I firstly need to point out that I have not read any of Hsuan Hua's writings and I am not fully tuned in with his thoughts on gay people etc. Secondly, I need to point out that I am myself gay.

Before Buddhism even registered on my radar I tried my best like most people to live a decent life. I certainly made many, many mistakes though not with regards to my sexuality. My sexuality is just a by product of my existence. I was brought up in a Protestant family, and throughout my life both at home and even at school listened to the degrading remarks of others about gay people.

In adulthood after a few misfires, I came to Buddhism, it's something that I cannot even begin to explain the change it has made to my life. I am a completely different person.....and I'm still a gay person. My sexuality has no bearing on my ability to be a Buddhist, to achieve what my hetrosexual counterparts can achieve and to help others to do so as well.

Buddhism is open to all who reach the Dharma Gate, all who whole heartedly practice the Dharma. As a pureland Buddhist I'm told that Amitabha Buddha has made vows to secure all for rebirth in his western Pureland. Open to everyone who makes the vow to do so and at whatever position in life. This is the amazing world of Buddhism, it's open to anyone. Especially given that a human birth is hard to achieve, do people really believe they would not attain enlightenment simply over their sexuality? Of course not, so people lets not dwell on stupid things. Live the dharma, the Buddha's and Bodhisattva's are there to secure our liberation. rant over :soapbox:
gingercatni

Re: Hsuan Hua on Homosexuality Part 2

Postby JKhedrup » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:58 pm

I don't think the thread was closed by admin because they were opposed to Buddhism and Homosexuality being discussed. I think it was closed because it had become circular and some ugly language started to be used.
If you haven't read Hsuan Hua's books why not start a thread on homosexuality and Pure Land/Buddhism in general?
A foolish man proclaims his qualifications,
A wise man keeps them secret within.
A straw floats on the surface of water,
But a precious gem placed upon it sinks to the depths
-Sakya Pandita
JKhedrup

Re: Hsuan Hua on Homosexuality Part 2

Postby Jikan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:16 pm

JKhedrup wrote:I don't think the thread was closed by admin because they were opposed to Buddhism and Homosexuality being discussed. I think it was closed because it had become circular and some ugly language started to be used.

This is so. I'd like to keep this thread open so long as the discussion that ensues is mutually respectful, and is guided by facts and not assumptions or preconceptions.

If you haven't read Hsuan Hua's books why not start a thread on homosexuality and Pure Land/Buddhism in general?

This is a pretty good idea too.
Jikan
Site Admin

Return to East Asian Buddhism