Cosmic Tantra.

Caz

Cosmic Tantra.

Post by Caz »

http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-ri ... antra.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thought you guys might like this Tsem Rinpoche teaches in such a unique way :jumping:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Cosmic Tantra.

Post by catmoon »

Nope, don't like it at all.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Caz wrote:http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-ri ... antra.html

Thought you guys might like this Tsem Rinpoche teaches in such a unique way :jumping:

The 'acting' is integral to TTR's method and works for many people. The words he uses are usually very wise.

It is also important to rcognise that, for example, whilst he is probably incapable of full prostrations due to his weight and illness, this does not detract from the advice.

He once gave me very detailed and wise personal advice of the most serious nature, which predisposes me to regard other teaching he does as also having a pure intention. On the same blog, read what he writes and videos about Je Tsongkhapa practice - it is one of the best explanations and expositions I have experienced on the topic.

However, it's not necessary to defend him per se. There are thousands of Gurus, and it raises the old dilemma - should we choose a Guru who appeals to us, or one who is a challenge for us to relate to, or seek to regard all Gurus as one and see beyond their personal qualites and our own likes and dislikes?

My answer is that it helps as a beginner to find a teacher whose style we find interesting and maybe even charismatic, but eventually we learn to recognise that our minds need to shift and see beyond an attraction or repulsion. I'm still working on it, myself, but with regard to Tsem Tulku I've spent many happy times watching him on Youtube and reading his teachings, but can easily understand why someone might just find him an irritating diva! LOL :)
Left
Caz

Post by Caz »

catmoon wrote:Nope, don't like it at all.
Well we know you dont like his style CM :rolling:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Caz wrote:
yup. Now i haz a big grumpy. Grrrrr!
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

catmoon wrote:
Caz wrote:
yup. Now i haz a big grumpy. Grrrrr!

I know - howz about some (strictly on topic) cat prostrations - they've cornered the market in sleep yoga positions! LOL :) :

http://www.buzzfeed.com/animals/awkward ... -positions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I'll get right ... on..... that....... zzzzzzzzz
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

Geez, this video was really good. I noticed a lot of his posts where on target with me, like if he knew me personally. :shock: Very cool, I will be reading more of his posts. Tough Love but not forgetting the love.
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
plwk

Post by plwk »

Sometimes I wonder caz.... if this present time and generation is so want in merits and virtues that Dharma teachers have to prop up all kinds of dramatics before due attention can be gotten? Say if the same phrase/teaching is given on a plain book, would the response be a wow?

Sometime back in a class I attended, an Anila remarked...
Those were the days when lay people requested for the Dharma to be taught.
These days, the lay people need to be requested before they can be taught...

From a side bar blog quote...
I'm only provocative because I don't fit your descriptions. So if you don't like what I am on my space, then get your own. ~Tsem Rinpoche
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

plwk wrote: Sometime back in a class I attended, an Anila remarked...
Is it that simple?
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
Caz

Post by Caz »

plwk wrote:Sometimes I wonder caz.... if this present time and generation is so want in merits and virtues that Dharma teachers have to prop up all kinds of dramatics before due attention can be gotten? Say if the same phrase/teaching is given on a plain book, would the response be a wow?

Sometime back in a class I attended, an Anila remarked...

From a side bar blog quote...
I'm only provocative because I don't fit your descriptions. So if you don't like what I am on my space, then get your own. ~Tsem Rinpoche
Its is a degenerate age Thorny, Ive always prefered Dharma with an injection of humour. :thumbsup:

Tewi

Post by Tewi »

I've seen him on You-Tube before. He's a very charismatic guy with a fascinating personal story. I guess his generation of lamas will have the duty of seeing Tibetan Buddhism through the passing of the last cohort to have been trained in traditional Tibet, and figuring out its new (maybe more global) direction.

This is the body incarnation. Has anybody heard from the speech and mind incarnations? (The Tsem mind tulku seems to be a layman--or was the last I heard--and I never knew the speech incarnation.)
Caz

Post by Caz »

Tewi wrote:I've seen him on You-Tube before. He's a very charismatic guy with a fascinating personal story. I guess his generation of lamas will have the duty of seeing Tibetan Buddhism through the passing of the last cohort to have been trained in traditional Tibet, and figuring out its new (maybe more global) direction.

This is the body incarnation. Has anybody heard from the speech and mind incarnations? (The Tsem mind tulku seems to be a layman--or was the last I heard--and I never knew the speech incarnation.)
Tsem Rinpoche is a monk. He's the body incarnation what is your source ?

Tewi

Post by Tewi »

Well, he sure looks like a monk to me as well. And he's obviously open about being a Tsem incarnation--look at the name he posts under.
Caz

Post by Caz »

Tewi wrote:Well, he sure looks like a monk to me as well. And he's obviously open about being a Tsem incarnation--look at the name he posts under.
Yes Im well aware he is an incarnation but whats your source for saying he is specifically the body incarnation rather then the mind incarnation ?

Tewi

Post by Tewi »

Oh, sorry! I misunderstood. Well, I knew the mind incarnation back in the 1980's, and later heard about their recognition from Zong Rinpoche. I remember that it was some kind of monastery tulku, and that the body incarnation was this gay Mongolian kid from New Jersey. (Bertolucci's film Little Buddha was based in part on their story.) I don't know what happened to the others, though, and was hoping someone here could enlighten me. Is this some kind of sensitive political issue, like the dueling Karmapas? Otherwise I guess I could just e-mail this guy.
Caz

Post by Caz »

Tewi wrote:Oh, sorry! I misunderstood. Well, I knew the mind incarnation back in the 1980's, and later heard about their recognition from Zong Rinpoche. I remember that it was some kind of monastery tulku, and that the body incarnation was this gay Mongolian kid from New Jersey. (Bertolucci's film Little Buddha was based in part on their story.) I don't know what happened to the others, though, and was hoping someone here could enlighten me. Is this some kind of sensitive political issue, like the dueling Karmapas? Otherwise I guess I could just e-mail this guy.
Hadnt heard about it till now perhapes you could email and ask him :shrug:

Distorted

Post by Distorted »

He did say they kept on trying to contact him for that movie but I don't know what about.
http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-ri ... e-80s.html
Tewi

Post by Tewi »

Now that I think about it, there is one issue that might have some political relevance. You have to understand that up to a point in the 1990's, a lot of mainstream Gelugpa worshipped a certain deity who is now verboten. (For all I know, I may have done so as well--I honestly don't remember what all rituals I did, and wouldn't necessarily have known what it was at the time.) Anyway, in retrospect, I think an oracle of this deity was consulted for all three of them. It was SOP at the time.

I can't find any mention of the other two on (body) Tsem Rinpoche's website (tsemtulku.org). This may be because they do not teach in public (that I know of--for all I know, one or both of them might be using some other dharma name by now) and /or out of the game completely. If so, I hope I have not invaded their privacy by asking about them. I personally do not believe in the practice of identifying tulkus--the whole thing is at best symbolic, and at worst a matter of political expedience. Not a few former tulkus have renounced their statuses, or even Buddhism as a whole. On the other hand, many of those so identified do grow into their roles and make everyone proud--chief among them the present Dalai Lama.

Looking over his website, I see that (body) Tsem Rinpoche is extremely interested in subjects like Bigfoot and UFO's. (I was too, at one time.) His group, Kechara, comes across as a bit intense--I'm afraid outsiders are likely to view it as a cult--but they are obviously very dedicated. Other than him, it seems to be all Chinese people. (I wonder how that happened.)
plwk

Post by plwk »

Other than him, it seems to be all Chinese people. (I wonder how that happened.)
Perhaps one may need to understand something about Malaysian demographics...
1. Firstly, the ethnic Malays, who are the largest ethnic group and by constitutional definition are 'automatically' Muslims as well, so the equation is Malay=Muslim, do not normally visit other religious houses of worship nor get involved with anything that is non Muslim religious activity, mainly due to a present conservative Islamic authority and certain ultra Muslim politicians playing up on vested agendas making this a 'sensitive' issue.
In lieu of the above, non Muslim religious activities & participation are off limits to them and in fact, non Muslim religious houses of worship have to include words like 'For Non Muslims Only' on their pamplets and publications to avoid any untoward incident.
Even if any Muslims (be they Malays or from other races) were to walk/visit into any non Muslim houses of worship, defensive caution and alert is necessary although one cannot bar them from entry.
The same deal applies to Muslims of other ethnic origins.

2. The two biggest Buddhist communities in this country are the Theravadins (Sri Lankan, Thai and Burmese streams) and Chinese Mahayanists (Pure Land, Ch'an and Tian Tai). The Tibetan Vajrayanists (all 4 main schools are represented here) are a smaller grouping compared to the other 2. So there you have it that the lion's share of the pie goes to the former. Fewer are those who would practice a kind of a pan Buddhism or what some describe as cross tradition. There are other East Asian Buddhist trads here like the Korean Zen under Kwan Um Zen School and Nichiren Shu.

3. Yes, the main core of their members are mainly from the Chinese community but that's because...
a. the Chinese are the second biggest ethnic group in this country and are most easily available (depending on location and etc)
b. but occasionally you get to see Eurasians, they have invited foreign visitors as well from time to time... look out for their events
c. other smaller ethnic groups like the Sri Lankans, Thais and Burmese are mainly Theravadins, the Korean Buddhists usually would attend one Kwan Um Zen temple in town, the Japanese would look for the Nichiren and so forth...

4. As far as I know, they open their doors to anyone regardless of creed, color, religion and so forth, so I doubt it's an exclusive 'Chinese club' going on there, only that demographics are at work and it's not easy to attract people to Dharma and so forth... its quite competitive lol

:focus:

Return to “Gelug”