The Tsem Tulku thread.

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: The Tsem Tulku thread.

Postby Adamantine » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:34 am

michaelb wrote:Can't someone ask HH Dalai Lama's office about this? To be honest, given Tsem Tulku's massive web presence, I'm surprised no one has already. If I wanted to check the reliability of a Gelug lama, they'd be the first people I'd ask.

I sent them an email years back, when a very similar thread dialogue was happening on Esangha. They never replied to me.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Karma Dorje » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:44 am

Simon E. wrote:Frankly all you need do is look at the videos. :rolling: The man is a total twit.

That's a little harsh don't you think? I have watched some of his videos and he seems halfway witty.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
~Arthur Carlson
Karma Dorje

Postby dharmagoat » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:13 am

Simon E. wrote:The man is a total twit.

That (for reasons that I don't understand) seems to be his appeal.

Because twit Lamas are comparatively rare, every one is precious.
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat

Postby Ayu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:58 am

Thank you for being blunt, Zen Dude. Because my English is not the best, it is not possible for me to understand the hidden subtleties of language.
My personal feeling says also: caution. I would not choose TTR as my personal teacher.
But what is a feeling? Often it is a projection.
So wether the feeling on to a person is good or bad - one still has to keep restrained with the own judging. Better is to say: "Maybe, maybe not."
And in the statement of this monk who was in the same monastery, there are too many speculations presented as facts. How can he know, what TTR was thinking? How can he know, what TTR was doing "all day"? Did he observe him all days?

I just try to find the middle way here. :namaste:
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby Adamantine » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm locking this temporarily until the staff can respond to a report. Jikan, who was moderating
this thread, is unable to be online for a period of time so we need to pass the baton.

UPDATE: This thread has continued to be locked because it was spinning into rumors and harsh speech and touching on topics forbidden by our TOS.

It shall remain locked, unless anyone has a very important and compelling reason to reopen it, in which case you can PM me or other staff and we will consider it.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:18 pm

I am reopening this thread on the request of a user, given that significant changes are afoot for Tsem.

Friendly reminder: if this thread becomes a magnet for discourse that transgresses our terms of service, the thread will be locked once more and the key most likely thrown away for good. here are the terms of service, which have changed recently:

viewforum.php?f=109

thank you for your time and contributions at DharmaWheel.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Jikan wrote:I am reopening this thread on the request of a user, given that significant changes are afoot for Tsem.
What's afoot?

And please don't answer: "The appendage at the end of ones leg!" :tongue:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Simon E. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:10 pm

I was hoping someone else would ask. Then I can feign indifference. :smile:
Simon E.

Postby pueraeternus » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Jikan wrote:I am reopening this thread on the request of a user, given that significant changes are afoot for Tsem.
What's afoot?

And please don't answer: "The appendage at the end of ones leg!" :tongue:

I am curious to know too, since his organization operates in the region where my home country is.
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Postby Adamantine » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:06 pm

Well, the basic news is that Tsem, puportedly due to rising exposure by former followers, has fled back to America.

We expect a further post with more details to be forthcoming. If anyone personally knows more valid information or details, without unsubstantiated gossip, feel free to fill in the blanks. It is clear he is in LA from his twitter feed.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Motova » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:31 pm

He lost my favor when he made fun of one of his overweight students in a video. :techproblem:
Motova

Postby pueraeternus » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Adamantine wrote:Well, the basic news is that Tsem, puportedly due to rising exposure by former followers, has fled back to America.

We expect a further post with more details to be forthcoming. If anyone personally knows more valid information or details, without unsubstantiated gossip, feel free to fill in the blanks. It is clear he is in LA from his twitter feed.

Ah I see. Well, looking forward to the drama...
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Postby reddust » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Motova wrote:He lost my favor when he made fun of one of his overweight students in a video. :techproblem:

That should be done in private :tongue: Obesity is gone global and so many folk need help the body is our only vehicle and needs to be properly taken care of.... :namaste:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Postby Sherlock » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:58 pm

He is fat himself.
Sherlock

Postby reddust » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Sherlock wrote:He is fat himself.

If Tsem Tulku shouldn't make fun of fat folk, unless he knows public humiliation will help that person, we shouldn't make fun of his double chin....seriously :namaste:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:19 pm

As a consequence of his serious health problem, okay, that's not an excuse...

Let's keep the criticisms a little more intelligent shall we?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby conebeckham » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:26 pm

The real question is, when will we have the "Dharma Wheel Alert" blog?

:spy:
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Motova » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:30 pm

This was done when he was skinny.

now... :popcorn: ... :pig:
Motova

Postby practitioner » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Adamantine wrote:Well, the basic news is that Tsem, puportedly due to rising exposure by former followers, has fled back to America.

Doesn't your post urging people to not to post "unsubstantiated gossip" contain said gossip?
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
practitioner

Postby reddust » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:37 pm

I know this is breaking a rule saying this, I would never want to be a Dharma teacher. Just imagine having to deal with the pressure and the people, can you? I've worked in Sangha's and seen the pressure teachers are under. We should have compassion for our teachers. I've looked at Tsem Tulku's site and he also does not look well. I don't know him, his teachings or style or his students, I am not saying he is a good teacher or a bad one, or what ever. I'm just saying we should be careful what we say about him or anyone we don't know. Especially if we haven't seen the situation our self with clear sight. I would be very careful with any information coming through the grapevine. The world is freaking crazy right now, I guess it's always been crazy but it seems really crazy right now. We have to be careful.
reddust

PreviousNext

Return to Gelug