YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Donald Trump is a Pathological Liar, It Has Statistically Been Proven - Dhamma Wheel

Donald Trump is a Pathological Liar, It Has Statistically Been Proven

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
samseva

Donald Trump is a Pathological Liar, It Has Statistically Been Proven

Postby samseva » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:39 pm

I was watching yesterday's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on Donald Trump, which was hilarious. In it, he mentions an organization called Politifact, which takes statements made by various politicians and verifies them. Those statements are then categorized as True, Mostly True, Half True, Mostly False, False, and Pants on Fire. Each statement is then statistically compiled. This isn't from some random website on the Internet either. Politifact won a Pulitzer prize back in 2009.

Turns out, 78% (!) of the statements Donald Trump made are either 'Mostly False', 'False' or 'Pants On Fire'...
...and only 7% as Mostly True and True.

samseva

Re: Donald Trump is a Pathological Liar, It Has Statistically Been Proven

Postby samseva » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:41 pm

Here is Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on Donald Trump.

Hilarious.

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:34 pm

It would only be hilarious if he weren't going to be the GOP candidate...nothing funny about our politics this year.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

samseva

Postby samseva » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:39 pm

sattva

Postby sattva » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:30 am

Let's start a Buddhist commune in Canada lol

No_Mind

Postby No_Mind » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:06 pm

But is there not a contrarian way of looking at it. Trump has managed to ride out He has never been personally bankrupt but he has allowed his establishments to file under Chapter 11 for strategic reasons.

US is going to be $21 trillion in debt on Jan 20, 2017. The economic recovery in last 7 years has mostly been a weak recovery.

Does it not make sense for first time in recent several decades to vote in a President who actually earned before he turned 35 (be it with capital left to him by his father). Trump earned enough to pay for his hearth and home before he was 35 .. that surely must count for something .. in most of Asia (also probably rest of the world) no way can one be elected if they lived on wife's income well into their 30s (and I am not talking of one US President but several).

I am not supporting Trump .. I am just throwing out some nuggets for progressives to consider.
I know one thing: that I know nothing

samseva

Postby samseva » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:53 pm

samseva

Postby samseva » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:59 pm

SDC

Postby SDC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Trump is doing what he has to do to appeal to the many idiots in the US. And it is working. While true constitutional conservatives find Trump ridiculous they too will vote for him because they know there is going to be two years of a Republican majority at all three levels.

As David has already said, Trump's tone will likely start changing soon after today (Super Tuesday) pending he does as good as they are predicting. First he solidifies the nomination and then he - and Hillary from the other end - will do what they have to in order to grab the moderate stragglers.

Nothing said before a primary should impress or excite anyone, good or bad, but because the majority of US citizens think they are electing a supreme ruler instead of a president, the candidates, if they are smart enough to know the game, do what they must in order to get people to like them - knowing full well they will not deliver on half their platform. Trump is a genius in this regard and I suspect a change in tone will rouse a good deal of the center after he secures the nomination.

Bundokji

Postby Bundokji » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:35 pm

I have been following Donald Trump and the debates, and the more I watch this guy the more I like him.

Maybe he is fake, but not as fake as the other ones. He is an "original fake" in many ways.

During the last GOP debate, the way he has been attacked does not reveal his fakeness as much as those who attacked him.

He was criticized for hiring illegal immigrants in the past, but isn't that what many big businesses do? From a businessman's perspective, this can be the correct decision, but for someone who is nominating himself to be president, he has to condemn illegal immigration. Each game has its own rules, there is no contradiction between the two. His answer simply was: "I am the only one on this stage who hired people" and this was amazing in my opinion.

When Rubio asked him to explain his plan for health care and he spoke about removing the borders (or circles) between the states, he was simply stating that he will allow more competition between health care companies and the market forces to do its own work in a way beneficial to consumers. When they asked him to explain more, he had nothing to add, things don't have to be complicated in order to be true.

When they talked about the conflict between the Israelis and the Palestinians, Trump (unlike others) did not try to impress. He explained that in order to negotiate, you will have to adopt a neutral position while others competed in a very hypocritical way how to appear pro-Israel in order to impress. They still don't realize that their stupid games no longer work.

The best moment was when Cruz attacked him for giving donation to liberals, to find out that he received donations himself from Trump in the past, so its not political money that is corrupt or incorrect, but it all depends on who you give it to, isn't it :smile:

Even the pope attacked Trump. A pope with a leftist views not long ago released a letter addressing climate change, but still refuses to encourage contraception in order to control the growth in human population, things cannot get more fake than that!

When it comes to racism, Trump was endorsed by the KKK which is according to the media "a white racist group" and there have been a tremendous amount of pressure on Trump to criticise the group and its leader, but he refused to do so. I love the way he refuses to play their game, he is creating a new rules and its working.

Finally, he was once asked why you are not acting more presidential, and his answer was I can be as presidential as anyone else when its the right time to do so. He is so pragmatic and he knows what he is doing, and he deserves credit for that.
"On the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our arses"
Michel de Montaigne

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:02 pm

Even fascists like Trump have their devout followers!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

SDC

Postby SDC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:30 pm

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:12 pm

I take it you don't think Trump is a facist, that's how many Germans felt about Hitler for years.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

SDC

Postby SDC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:23 pm

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:15 am

Sorry, but you don't have to be the President to be a fascist.

SDC

Postby SDC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:44 am

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:02 am

So by your logic, the time for Germans to speak out about Hitler was after he was elected leader, not before!!!

SDC

Postby SDC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:16 am

Overly dramatic and exhausting as usual. I can't leave this back and forth soon enough...

samseva

Postby samseva » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:50 am

Bundokji

Postby Bundokji » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:14 am

"On the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our arses"
Michel de Montaigne

Return to “News, Current Events & Politics”