The Great Empowerment Of Medicine Buddha

thornbush

The Great Empowerment Of Medicine Buddha

Post by thornbush »

Found this on another site and pasted here for all's information and participation for interested parties:
http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index. ... =88336&hl=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Great Empowerment of Medicine Buddha: A Healing Ceremony Open to All
The Venerable Choden Rinpoche will visit the Lion's Roar Dharma Center in Sacramento this coming June (2009), to bestow the Great Empowerment of Medicine Buddha. This very special event will be the capping event on Lion's Roar's monthlong practice and celebration of Medicine Buddha.

Please join us in Sacramento on the weekend of June 13 & 14 when Choden Rinpoche will bestow the Great Empowerment of Medicine Buddha!

For more details, please visit our Sangha's website at Lion's Roar Dharma Center, or the special event page at Choden Rinpoche bewstows the Medicine Buddha Empowerment - 2009.

Who/What is the Medicine Buddha?
Medicine Buddha is one of many Buddhas who, through eliminating all negativity and perfecting all positive qualities, has attained the state of perfect enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings

Medicine Buddha's blue sky-colored holy body signifies omniscient wisdom and compassion as vast as limitless space and is particularly associated with healing both mental and physical suffering. Making a connection with him, practicing meditation, reciting his mantra or even just saying his name helps us achieve our potential for ultimate healing.

Eight Medicine Buddhas
Many aeons ago, seven bodhisattvas strongly prayed for the temporal and ultimate happiness of all sentient beings, that their names become wish-fulfilling in order to heal both the mental and physical sicknesses and diseases of sentient beings. They vowed that their prayers will be actualized during these degenerate times when the teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha are in decline. When they became enlightened, one of the ten powers of a Buddha is the power of prayer - that means that all the prayers that have been made get fulfilled. As the Buddha’s holy speech is irrevocable, you can wholly trust in their power to quickly grant blessings to help all sentient beings in these degenerate times. They are called the Seven Medicine Buddhas, the main one is `Lapis Buddha of Medicine, King of Of Light'. Buddha Shakyamuni taught the teachings on the Medicine Buddha, and according to one tradition, is also considered as one of the Medicine Buddhas, and hence the Eight Medicine Buddhas.

Venerable Choden Rinpoche
Born in 1933 in Eastern Tibet, Choden Rinpoche was recognized at age three as an important incarnate lama, and ordained by Pabongka Rinpoche at the age of six. He entered Sera Je Monastery when he was fifteen, where he mastered all the philosophical teachings required for the highest monastic title of Geshe Lharampa. Choden Rinpoche was one of the two Sera Je lamas selected to debate with His Holiness 14th Dalai Lama during His Holiness' examination for the geshe degree.

When the Communist Chinese invaded Tibet in 1959, Choden Rinpoche was arrested and jailed for several months. After his release, Rinpoche went into solitary retreat for 19 years. He never left his tiny, dark room in Lhasa for twenty years. In 1985 he was allowed to leave Tibet for India. Since then he has taught thousands of students at Sera Je monastery in South India, and in Dharma centers around the world.

Choden Rinpoche is regarded as one of the great masters of the day, and is particularly famed for his pure moral conduct. He has taught worldwide, and at the FPMT Centers at Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s request. His great insight into the Dharma and his peerless and compassionate conduct have inspired many students in the West to follow in his example to take ordination vows.

What is an empowerment?
In Vajrayana Buddhism (Tantric Buddhism), one of the main paths of personal transformation and spiritual practice is that of Deity Yoga, where after receiving the empowerment (initiation) of a specific meditational deity (Yidam), and taking the associated vows, one engages in visualizing oneself as that Buddha. In this practice of taking the result as the path, the practitioner transforms the world through transforming ones own mind. In the empowerment, the Lama, who meditates on being the Buddha of the empowerment, bestows the vows, confers the blessings of the Buddha upon the students’ body speech and mind, offers the mantra, and authorizes the students to engage in that particular meditation ritual (Sadhana).

Vows and Commitments
Full Participants of the empowerment will be taking the Refugue vows, The (lay) Praktimoksha vows, and the Bodhisattva vows. Students are encouraged to learn what these vows are, and be enthusiastic about having the rare opportunity to receive them from a true master who is currently holding these vows perfectly, before taking them. It is also suggested to recite the medicine buddha mantra regularly.

Witnessing the Empowerment as a Blessing
For those who do not wish to take the vows or engage in the tantric practice, the empowerment will be open to receive as a blessing.

Links: Lion's Roar Dharma Center and Choden Rinpoche 2009
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Re: The Great Empowerment Of Medicine Buddha

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Thanks, Thorny :smile:

Sutra of the Medicine Buddha
Medicine-Buddha-LgTN.jpg
Luke

Post by Luke »

I might go to a Medicine Buddha empowerment in July. It seems like Medicine Buddha is popular everywhere during the summer.

When I see a sick person in public, I visualize Medicine Buddha inside their afflicted area and recite the Medicine Buddha mantra in my mind. Perhaps this is pointless, but I do it anyway.
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

Medicine Buddha is definately worth practicing. Definately the first Buddha dharani to get me in the Dharma door to Buddhism.

I practice the Dharani every morning!

After studying the Tipitaka, I was able to put the meaning together.

In the Tipataka, Buddha Dharma is called the best medicine and Lord Buddha the best doctor.

So medicine Buddha is one who gives us the best medicine -- the Doctor Supreme.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Luke wrote:I might go to a Medicine Buddha empowerment in July. It seems like Medicine Buddha is popular everywhere during the summer.

When I see a sick person in public, I visualize Medicine Buddha inside their afflicted area and recite the Medicine Buddha mantra in my mind. Perhaps this is pointless, but I do it anyway.
That's wonderful, Luke :namaste:
Dazzle

Post by Dazzle »

Lots of information about Medicine Buddha here:

http://www.dharma-haven.org/thrangu-medicine-buddha.htm

:anjali:
http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

There is an extended version of these in the Sutra of the Medicine Buddha, but here's a nice concise version:

12 Vows of Medicine Buddha

1. I vow that my body shall shine as beams of brilliant light on this infinite and boundless world, showering on all beings, getting rid of their ignorance and worries with my teachings. May all beings be like me, with a perfect status and character, upright mind and soul, and finally attaining enlightenment like the Buddha.

2. I vow that my body be like crystal, pure and flawless, radiating rays of splendid light to every corner, brightening up and enlightening all beings with wisdom. With the blessings of compassion, may all beings strengthen their spiritual power and physical energy, so that they could fulfil their dreams in the right track.

3. I vow that I shall grant by means of boundless wisdom, all beings with the inexhaustible things that they require, and relieving them from all pains and guilt resulting from materialistic desires. Although clothing, food, accommodation and transport are essentials, it should be utilised wisely as well. Besides self-consumption, the remaining should be generously shared with the community so that all could live harmoniously together.

4. I vow to lead those who have gone astray back to the path of righteousness. Let them be corrected and returned to the Buddha way for enlightenment.

5. I vow that I shall enable all sentient beings to observe precepts for spiritual purity and moral conduct. Should there be any relapse or violation, they shall be guided for repentance. Provided they truly regret their wrong-doings, and vow for a change with constant prayers and strong faith in the Buddha, they could receive the rays of forgiveness, recover their lost moral and purity.

6. I vow that all beings who are physically disabled or sick in all aspects be blessed with good health, both physically and mentally. All who pays homage to Buddha faithfully will be blessed.

7. I vow to relieve all pain and poverty of the very sick and poor. The sick be cured, the helpless be helped, the poor be assisted.

8. I vow to help women who are undergoing sufferings and tortures and seeking for transformation into men. By hearing my name, paying homage and praying, their wishes would be granted and ultimately attain Buddhahood.

9. I vow to free all beings from evil thoughts and its control. I shall lead them onto the path of light through inculcating them with righteousness and honour so that they will walk the Buddha way.

10. I vow to save prisoners who have genuinely repented and victims of natural disasters. Those who are sincere will be blessed by my supreme powers and be freed from sufferings.

11. I vow to save those who suffer from starvation and those who committed crime to obtain food. If they hear my name and faithfully cherish it, I shall lead them to the advantages of Dharma and favour them with best food and eventually lead a tranquil and happy life.

12. I vow to save those who suffer from poverty, tormented by mosquitoes and wasps day and night. If they come across my name, cherish it with sincerity and practise dharma to strengthen their merits, they will be able to achieve their wishes.

source

Return to “Gelug”