Spiritual Revolution By His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Spiritual Revolution By His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Postby phantom59 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:05 pm

My call for a spiritual revolution is not a call for a religious revolution, nor for a way of life that is otherworldly - still less to something magical or mysterious. It is a call for a radical reorientation away from our habitual preoccupation with self, a call to turn toward the wider community of beings with whom ...we are connected, and for conduct which recognizes others’ interests alongside our own.

As human beings, we are all the same, there is no need to build some kind of artificial barrier between us. With this attitude, there is nothing to hide, and no need to say things in a way that is not straightforward. So this gives me a kind of space in my mind, with the result that I do not have to be suspicious of ot...hers all the time. And this really gives me inner satisfaction, and inner peace.

Developing altruism is one of the most powerful methods for countering negative tendencies and destructive impulses. Since overcoming negative tendencies and enhancing positive potential are the very essence of the spiritual path, the practice of developing altruism is really the greatest, most effective and most compelling practice of all.

When we contemplate the diversity of spiritual traditions on this planet we can understand that each addresses the specific needs of different human beings, because there is so much diversity in human mentality and spiritual inclination. Yet, fundamentally, all spiritual traditions perform the same function, which is to help us tame our mental state, overcome our negativities and perfect our inner potential.

It is not enough simply to wish that love and compassion should increase in us. We need to make a sustained effort, again and again, to cultivate the positive aspects within us – and the key here is constant familiarity. The nature of human thoughts and emotions is such that the more you engage in them, the more you co...nsciously develop them, the more powerful they become.

The aim of spiritual and therefore ethical practice is to transform and perfect the individual’s motivation and mental disposition: this is how we become better human beings. And the more we succeed in training our hearts and minds through cultivating spiritual qualities, the better able we will be to cope with adversi...ty and the greater the likelihood that our actions will be ethically wholesome

His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
phantom59

Re: Spiritual Revolution By His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:59 am

Wonderful words, and in particular I like this:

As human beings, we are all the same, there is no need to build some kind of artificial barrier between us. With this attitude, there is nothing to hide, and no need to say things in a way that is not straightforward. So this gives me a kind of space in my mind, with the result that I do not have to be suspicious of ot...hers all the time. And this really gives me inner satisfaction, and inner peace.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Return to Gelug