waimengwan wrote:Could someone let me know what is Abhidharma and in the context of the Lamrim is it part of the Lamrim.
I have zero idea about Abhidharma if someone can explain to me the 101 of Abhidharma that would be wonderful.
Abhidharma is a huge topic - I thought the chapter outline of the Abhidharmkosa
might give you the general feel for the topics and vastness of this material:
1. An explanation of the 18 components that make things up
2. An explanation of the sense faculties and perception
3. An explanation of the different realms and beings
4. An explanation of Karma
5. An explanation of latent tendencies and how they impact our experience
6. An explanation of the path and how wisdom brings liberation
7. A further explanation of wisdom
8. An explanation of different forms of absorptions
9. An Appendix: that provides arguments against the existence of a self
It is really worthwhile studying these subjects many of which are foundational for a good understanding of other topics such as Madhyamaka and even Tantra. I think because the translations available in English are quite poor it is probably necessary to find a Geshe who is willing to take you through the text systematically to get a good grasp on this stuff. Certainly, if you can get teachings on chapter one and four I think this is really important. A trick to really getting understanding in these areas is to supplement them by reading other shorter texts like Pañcaskandhakaprakaraṇa
because they give Vasubandhu’s real positions and are quite concise.