Tara Empowerment

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Tara Empowerment

Postby Martin007 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:07 pm

I received a Tara empowerment about 15 years ago, which at the time I remember as a meaningful experience. But I then moved to a non-Tibetan tradition, and haven't really thought about it since. But last week I had a very strong experience of it, which took me by surprise - it felt like a "delayed reaction", and I really don't know what prompted it.
It was fine, a positive experience and a real feeling of connection, but I'm not sure what - if anything - to do about it now.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks.
Martin007

Re: Tara Empowerment

Postby Simon E. » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Empowerments can lie dormant like seeds. Conditions arise which cause their 'germination'.
To whom did you feel connected..did it include the teacher/lineage from whom you recieved the empowerment ?
Simon E.

Postby Martin007 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 am

Simon E. wrote:To whom did you feel connected..did it include the teacher/lineage from whom you recieved the empowerment ?

I think the connection is to an all-embracing sense of compassion, which I believe Tara embodies? It's been coming and going a bit, but the connection is still present. I've been chanting "om tare tuttare ture svaha".
I should have explained that I've been in the Theravada tradition for quite a long time, so the challenge is to incorporate this experience into my current practice, which is mindfulness combined with tranquillity and insight.
Martin007

Postby lobster » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:31 pm

It is not unusual to combine practices from different Buddhist traditions. For example for reasons best known to Amitaba, I have been playing the mantra. Some people will not do anything unless sanctioned by their proscribed authority. Some like the Buddha, try everything until they are ready for a spot of enlightenment . . .
Dharani is part of some Theravadin teachings.

What do you feel might be the potential drawback of practice? :smile:
lobster

Return to Gelug