Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel

Konchog1

Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel

Post by Konchog1 »

What have you heard about him? Anything good? Bad?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
JKhedrup

Re: Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel

Post by JKhedrup »

I have heard he is very kind and learned.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Excellent. I'm thinking of taking him as a guru so I'm asking around.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

It would be good to take some sutra teachings from Rinpoche first, before taking initiations. Also, I am not so sure about how strict this is, but it is my understanding that Rinpoche wishes for students who take Highest Yoga Tantra initiation from him to complete ngondro sometime in their life.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

jmlee369 wrote:It would be good to take some sutra teachings from Rinpoche first, before taking initiations.
Agreed. But there's no time.
jmlee369 wrote:Also, I am not so sure about how strict this is, but it is my understanding that Rinpoche wishes for students who take Highest Yoga Tantra initiation from him to complete ngondro sometime in their life.
Will.

JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

Are you planning on being there tomorrow? If so I will see you there :)

From my understanding he is also keen on having his students study Lamrim (of course) and also trying to at least memorize the Three Principal Aspects of the Path or Foundation of All Good Qualities.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

JasonJ wrote:Are you planning on being there tomorrow? If so I will see you there :)

From my understanding he is also keen on having his students study Lamrim (of course) and also trying to at least memorize the Three Principal Aspects of the Path or Foundation of All Good Qualities.
Hopefully, I'm having car trouble. Thanks for the info.

waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

If we take any initiation from any lama they become our lama automatically :).

It is a blessing if we are in the initiation and we think we have not taken the initiation, then the guru student bond is not sealed. And the minimum Vows you have to hold is Bodhisattva vows for any kind of initiations.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

I wish I could be there for the initiation and commentary, but university classes tend to get in the way. However, since you've registered and all, I take it that you already know about the Six Session Guru Yoga and daily sadhana commitment.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

You are very lucky to receive the initiation together with such a complete commentary. These days many lamas give initiations but it is rare that they have time to give an extensive commentary on the practice over a number of days. I really rejoice!

Please think about doing the retreat as soon as you have the opportunity. It only takes about 10 days and after that you can do the self-initiation to purify the commitments connected to the initiation. It looks like the centre hosting the teachings provides opportunities for the retreat and fire puja.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

jmlee369 wrote:I wish I could be there for the initiation and commentary, but university classes tend to get in the way. However, since you've registered and all, I take it that you already know about the Six Session Guru Yoga and daily sadhana commitment.
It may sound odd, but I look forward to it.

JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

Sadly I had to travel back home today (you know, that old "having to go to work" thing :crazy: ) so I couldn't stay for the commentary. Anyone who has the good fortune to be able to stay for the extensive teachings, I rejoice for you!

I have also heard through the grapevine that in the next few years there may be the opportunity to do the retreat for this practice at Shravasti Abbey in Newport, Washington State, for anyone who is interested in future opportunities like that. If I find out more I'll be sure to post (unless someone else beats me to it).
Tenzin Choesang

Post by Tenzin Choesang »

This may be a little late, but I can second that Khensur Rinpoche is very kind, learned, and he does encourage completing the preliminary practices/ngondro. In fact, Land of Compassion Buddha has prostration practice every 9 am, Monday thru Friday. You can see the schedule at http://www.compassionbuddha.org.

I'm not sure if you have other Gurus already, but I would suggest that you read the 50 verses on Guru Devotion if you have not already. It is very important to be mindful of our actions around our Guru, which will translate to being mindful of our actions around all sentient beings. Our Guru is the beginning of the foundation of all good qualities. :namaste: Here is the text online http://viewonbuddhism.org/resources/50_ ... otion.html

Anyways, I rejoice you have met and found the Dharma through the meeting of qualified Gurus such as Khensur Rinpoche, and I wish you much success in your practice. Hope to see you at the center sometime!
Tenzin Choesang

Post by Tenzin Choesang »

I forgot to mention, there may be an opportunity to do the retreat at Land of Compassion Buddha, West Covina, California with Khensur Rinpoche in 2013, but it is not yet confirmed. However, it is confirmed that Khensur Rinpoche will offer the retreat at the Costa Rica center next year, but I'm not too sure of the dates.
JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

Hi Tenzin,

Thank you so much for passing that link to the 50 verses along, as well as the heads up on future retreat opportunities. Sorry for not responding earlier; I just got out of a weeklong retreat today and am catching up on correspondence. Currently I live in Seattle, and while we have the good fortunate of teaching visits once a month or so from Yangsi Rinpoche (from Maitripa College in Portland) and the occasional visit from other teachers, there is no resident Gelug teacher in Seattle at this time to the best of my knowledge (we used to have Venerable Thubten Chodron who of course is now at Sravasti Abbey). I do have the good fortunate of having established dharma connections with a few teachers (including now Khensur Rinpoche!) even though I don't get to see them every day or every week. But the important part is to use the opportunities we do have and rejoice in the merits of ourselves and others, and to make requests for teachings. Anyway, I don't mean to veer too far off-topic by blabbing too much about myself :smile:

Any idea if the current commentary (which it looks like just finished) will be available from the audio teaching library here? http://www.compassionbuddha.org/teaching-library.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, look forward to visiting again soon. Hope all of the center's projects go smoothly!
lama tsewang

Post by lama tsewang »

there is a very good gelugpa teacher in seattle, his name is david gonzales, of dechen ling. he is able to teach all of the vajrayana .
JasonJ

Post by JasonJ »

Very good to hear this, thank you for mentioning, Lama. Will try to get in contact with their center if possible.

Many thanks!

Return to “Gelug”