YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Meditation is boring - Dhamma Wheel

Meditation is boring

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Nicro

Meditation is boring

Postby Nicro » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:06 am

Haha not what you were expecting right!?? :tongue:

I know the article is "Zen" but I believe you can apply it to meditation in general. Now I have a little theory about how meditation helps you "open your eyes".

So basically like the article says, meditation is doing pretty much the most boring thing that one could do(sitting somewhere watching the breath). Most people, would fight and cry if they had to sit and just watch the breath go in and out. So from this we can see that meditation is diving into boredom face first. I think that is what makes it so effective.

There is nothing really "normal" about "normal". Something is "normal" when it is a phenomenon we have encountered so many times that the mind sees it, recognizes it from the massive bank of past experiences with the phenomenon, classes and categorizes it based on those experiences which basically results in a perception or feeling toward that phenomenon. Think of a Giraffe. What if you never saw one until now? A Giraffe is only normal because we have seen them so many times the mind has that phenomenons(the Giraffe) place all figured out. If you never saw one until now you would be blown away!! "Look at that thing!! It has those weird little nubs on its head, and it's so tall!! Why does it have those dots all over it?!"

By meditating we are breaking through this concept of "normal". When you meditate you dive directly into all things "normal". Thoughts, sensations, feelings, emotions etc.. And to the extreme at that. Both happiness, sadness, hate, love, anger, calm and everything in between. You begin to notice that there is more to these things than before because you are maintaining awareness on these things that are so "normal" without reacting. Say with fear, you feel that and you immediately try to get away from that. Fear is "normal" but due to our reactions to fear also being considered "normal"(running from fear) we never truly[i] experience it. Or happiness. We completely attach to it and don't see it clearly. Like watching TV with your face against the screen you can't see what it [i]truly is because you are so close to it.

By diving into this "boredom" of "normal" things we are forced to confront them in a way never before done. You start to see the amazingness and beauty of every moment because you begin to see that "normal" is a reaction of the mind born from ignorance.

That was kind of hard to explain by typing but I hope you all get what I'm saying. Sorry for all the :quote: .

Any thoughts on this?

rowyourboat

Re: Meditation is boring

Postby rowyourboat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:51 pm

The 'amazing beauty' of boring?

Hmm... I think 'boring' is the first sign of understanding dukkha. Yup, this is all there is..for the rest of your life...over and over again. Nothing to cling to, nothing to have aversion to. Just this.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Nicro

Re: Meditation is boring

Postby Nicro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Ya I would have to agree that seeing the "boredom" is probably one of the first signs of understanding dukkha(maybe, I can see other things being starting places). But I like in the article the comparison between the tangerine and the vision. The vision is just something fabricated by the mind for entertainment and excitement while the tangerine incident is when he started to experience what a moment is truly comprised of.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”