Manjushri Namasamgiti

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Manjushri Namasamgiti

Postby Mr. G » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:22 pm

The Manjushri Namasamgiti Two-Day Empowerment is being held in Maryland:

http://www.sakyatemple.org/spl/hhst2011.html

About the Teachings
The Manjushri Namasamgiti Two-Day Major Empowerment is a very special blessing, which purifies mental defilements and generates wisdom by dispelling the darkness of ignorance. For this reason, the Manjushri Namasamgiti tantra is one of the most important tantra texts recited at large Dharma gatherings such as the annual Monlam, or aspiration prayer festival. Known as the King of Tantras, this empowerment was requested by Vajrapani from the Buddha Shakyamuni for the purpose of attaining Buddhahood for himself and all sentient beings. The meaning of the Manjushri Namasamgiti empowerment is profound and vast

Can someone tell me a little more about this empowerment? On a more mundane level, does this particular practice also assist someone if they are pursuing Buddhist studies (memory, comprehension)?
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Re: Manjushri Namasamgiti

Postby conebeckham » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Manjusri Namasamgiti is kind of a special case, according to Jamgon Kongtrul.
This tantra can be explained from the point of view of Yoga Tantra, and also from the framework of Highest Yoga Tantra. there are Indian commentaries from both positions, and also commentaries that approach this tantra from a Dzokchen point of view, apparently.

It's usually classified as a Father Tantra of the Delusion Class.

In general, Manjusri practice is said to benefit learning, study, etc.--what we might call "Mundane Siddhi."
This particular Tantra is concerned with Ultimate Siddhi, primarily.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Mr. G » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks so much for that info cone!
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby kirtu » Sun May 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Off to the Cambodian Buddhist Temple at 1300 New Hampshire Avenue (technically just up the street from me since I also live at New Hampshire Avenue in DC - although about 700 blocks way) for the empowerment at 3 pm!

:woohoo:

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Will » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:18 am

Among the three English translations I know of - Davidson, Wayman and Berzin - which is the most accurate?

Any others out there?
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby kirtu » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Will wrote:Among the three English translations I know of - Davidson, Wayman and Berzin - which is the most accurate?

I can't assess the translations themselves from the Tibetan but as we know Dr. Berzin can be highly idiosyncratic at times, bordering on Thurman.

One would have expected Hopkins and Eric Pema Kunzang to have at least sketched a translation although possibly not published one. Possibly also the Doctor's.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Crazywisdom » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:19 am

conebeckham wrote:Manjusri Namasamgiti is kind of a special case, according to Jamgon Kongtrul.
This tantra can be explained from the point of view of Yoga Tantra, and also from the framework of Highest Yoga Tantra. there are Indian commentaries from both positions, and also commentaries that approach this tantra from a Dzokchen point of view, apparently.

It's usually classified as a Father Tantra of the Delusion Class.

In general, Manjusri practice is said to benefit learning, study, etc.--what we might call "Mundane Siddhi."
This particular Tantra is concerned with Ultimate Siddhi, primarily.

Garab Dorje has a commentary from Dzogchen perspective.
Thank you for parking my Trojan Horse in your city.
Crazywisdom

Return to Sakya