Guru Rinpoche practices within the Sakya tradition

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Guru Rinpoche practices within the Sakya tradition

Postby Kunga » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:01 pm

narraboth wrote:
Kunga wrote:As I also said earlier, there is indeed a 'Sakyapa text' for Guru Rinpoche - one of the treasures of a previous Tharig Tulku,who was a Sakyapa, which is one of the main practices in monasteries and centres affiliated with Tharig Rinpoche. It is in fact a cycle relating to a multi-headed and multi-armed form of Guru Drakpo.

Also, there is the guru yoga of Wangdu Nyingpo, who was considered the '2nd Guru Drakpo' and is portrayed in wrathful form. The association with the Khon family in particular and GR is very strong.

In Dagchen Rinpoche's centre in Seattle they do the Shower of Blessings tsog on the 10th day. I myself use the text from that centre.

well, I think if it's a terma it's a terma, it's a text from Guru rinpoche's time. Therefore I wouldn't say it's a 'Sakyapa text of Guru rinpoche'. Any lineage guru can reveal a terma, but it shouldn't be too different from other terma. The style and content has to be simliar to other terma, which will be very Nyingma style, and won't be the same as typical Sakya practice.

I didn't know Dagchen rinpoche's temple do shower of blessing (I think you mean the one made by Ju Mipham). It seems like rinpoche is indeed very strongly link to Nyingma.

Well, a Sakyapa wrote the sadhana and mandala rituals... and I don't think this is practiced outside of Sakya.

Anyway, it's always interesting to see how many lineages do different things. Interestingly enough, Dagchen Rinpoche's temple does lots of stuff - Chod being one example. Also, they are hosting wangs and teachings from Garchen Rinpoche. I think this is great. :)
Kunga

Re: Guru Rinpoche practices within the Sakya tradition

Postby namtose » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:36 pm

At Sakya Monastery in Seattle on the 10th day, we practice a Guru Rinpoche Tsog (Vajrayogini on the 25th day.) The practice is a short one bases on Ju Mipham Rinpoche.
The Khon family has a strong Nyingma connection. HH Dagchen Rinpoche holds as one of his root lama's Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche for which he received many empowerments and
teachings.
namtose

Previous

Return to Sakya