Sakya Monastery in Seattle, WA

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Sakya Monastery in Seattle, WA

Postby coolbreeze » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:18 am

I happened to come across a website for the Sakya Monastery of Tibetan Buddhism in Seattle, WA, and was wondering why HH Sakya Trinzin doesn't seem to be affiliated. I know very little about the Sakyas, and was just surfing the net linking around, and came across the site. Does anybody have any information about them. They don't seem to be listed here in the Sakya section of DW, unless of course, I missed something. I am just curious.
coolbreeze

Re: Sakya Monastery in Seattle, WA

Postby kirtu » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:43 am

The Sakya Monastery in Seattle is headed by HH Dagchen Rinpoche. This was where HE Dezhung Rinpoche lived and began teaching from.

HH Dagchen Rinpoche used to be the head of the Sakya school. However during the Chinese invasion he was on a pilgrimage/tour of Kham and Amdo and was feared lost. Therefore the current Sakya Trizen was enthroned as a young boy.

They are the respective heads of two different branches of the Khon family.

HH Dagchen Rinpoche doesn't travel much except occasionally to Nepal.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby supermaxv » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:19 am

Yep. His Holiness Sakya Trizin comes by about once a year for teachings though, and it's quite the event. Next year he'll be back the first week of May. I'm at the Monastery at least 1-2x a week and feel incredibly blessed to live within walking distance.
supermaxv

Postby Zettel » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:41 pm

I miss that neighborhood. I could go for some Gorditos right now.
Zettel

Postby Jikan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Zettel wrote:I miss that neighborhood. I could go for some Gorditos right now.

:good:

it's a lovely temple. Recommended.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby coolbreeze » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:28 pm

After all my time in the dharma, I'm just now beginning to learn about other lineages. Thanks all.
coolbreeze

Postby VajraLion » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:03 pm

This is where I go to learn the Dharma, not only is HH Dagchen Rinpoche, Manjushri in person, actively teaching but there are other Lama's like my root guru Tulku Yeshi Gyatso Rinpoche who are readily accessible --> www.bodhitreeleaf.org

HH Sakya Trizin comes and gives teaching occasionally, I have received White Mahakahla initiation from him at the monastery. He will be coming in a few months to bestow the 1000 arm Chenrezig initiation as well.

also www.sakya.org is the website. Also plenty of info can be obtained from NW Dharma associations website.
ཨོཾ Through blood, sweat and tears the solution appears: The pride needs defended by a Lion! ཨོཾ
VajraLion

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:23 am

Been twice so far, wonderful experiences, and a wonderful place.
"We're chained to the world and we all gotta pull" -Tom Waits
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby VajraLion » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:18 pm

supermaxv wrote:Yep. His Holiness Sakya Trizin comes by about once a year for teachings though, and it's quite the event. Next year he'll be back the first week of May. I'm at the Monastery at least 1-2x a week and feel incredibly blessed to live within walking distance.

Ahh lucky you! Its a couple hour drive for me, not that im complaining..
I feel blessed to have access to the Monastery at all.

And it is quite the event, I got to hold a banner and stand along the walkway. As soon as I walked up and saw all the people around Khenpo-La just handed me a big brocade banner and said "You hold." :D
ཨོཾ Through blood, sweat and tears the solution appears: The pride needs defended by a Lion! ཨོཾ
VajraLion

Return to Sakya