YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Wasps -- what to do? - Dhamma Wheel

Wasps -- what to do?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Lazy_eye

Wasps -- what to do?

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 am

Hi all,

I mentioned this as an aside in another post, but it turns out I really need some advice.

Some wasps are trying to construct a nest outside my front door -- specifically, in the front entrance roof area, right above our heads as we come in or go out. On Monday I removed some honeycomb that had dropped, relocated the wasps that were crawling on it, and dispersed the busy builders above (well, to be more accurate, they flew away after I sought to trap them in a glass container).

Problem solved? Nope. Today they are back again, working in the same location.

I'm not sure what to do. They aren't too aggressive (I would have been stung by now!) but I'd rather not have them in the front door area, with my kids entering through that route every day, and I'd like to find a way to remove them peacefully before my non-Buddhist spouse starts demanding we call the exterminator.

How to proceed?

Thanks,

LE

appicchato

Re: Wasps -- what to do?

Postby appicchato » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:23 am

You said you were able to disperse them once, right?...I would try that again and then spray the (material) area liberally with a bug spray...they should get the hint and find another locale to set up camp...I've used this tactic more than once with success...with no harm to anyone...

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:33 am

Hi LE

I know your pain, metaphorically.
During summer-time our house gets visits from up to five european wasps a day. Short of closing all doors and windows, they just come in. I try and trap and release but my non-Buddhist wife keeps a can of insect spray - somewhere. And she's the first one to remind me "The Dalai Lama swats flies". I've also been stung by a wasp and its not a particularly pleasant experience.

I think the issue of the wasps wanting to build their home right above the entrance to your home is a difficult one as it is a definite risk to the health and wellbeing of your family and visitors.In your situation I would persist with removing the wasp nesting material as diligently as possible - you might want to do it in the cool of the morning or the evening when they are less active. And once removed, perhaps spraying the entire area with a repellent might give your uninvited house guests the right idea about relocating.
And during your attempts to create an accommodation crisis for the wasps if your wife should call the exterminator, not meaning to sound harsh, it is afterall the way of the world.
You do what you can.
All the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:53 am

Les Stroud hung with some African tribesmen who smashed away at an African bee nest for hours and pulled out honeycomb with their bare hands. Smoke let them in, nothing died. If Winter's on the way to you, they don't have much time left to get comfortable. Maybe just blast the area with water every day, I think they'll get the hint.
You could also build them a small home a little further from yours? Give it comparable geometry, stability, materials, and direction (with a similar view) to the place they chose.

Hoo

Postby Hoo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:52 pm

I have the same problem every year. I do as you did, remove the nest material. Then I also began spraying the area with Off, Cutters, or other mosquito repellant. Wasps don't like it either :) They don't come back for a long time after that. You can also use the repellant in areas they like, but haven't chosen to build in yet.

Hoo

Individual

Postby Individual » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:27 pm

The best things in life aren't things.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 pm

http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:15 pm

BD1

Postby BD1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:09 pm

Colder weather does make them a little sleepy, and the best time to avoid being stung, I'm told is at sundown, apparently it's when they sleep ?
It can only be what it is,

BD1

Postby BD1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Oh I forgot apparently garlic and water solution , smells strong but can be used as a repellent-
Side bonus keep the vampires away too :)
It can only be what it is,

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:23 pm

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:06 pm

There are wasp repellent candles, or general purpose mosquito candles, that are affective because drives them away. Maybe you could attach a candle holder below their nest and light the candle in the morning. That way they have a chance to fly away from the bad smell.
With Metta

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:08 pm

andrewuk

Postby andrewuk » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:14 pm

Meditate, don't be negligent, lest you may later regret it!

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:06 pm

He says he shoos them away a few times first. So they had a fair chance to take the 'hint'. ;)

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Individual

Postby Individual » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:48 pm

The best things in life aren't things.

Return to “Lounge”