Shangpa Kagyu Teachings

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Shangpa Kagyu Teachings

Postby lisehull » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Has anyone read this book? If so, how complex is it? I am thinking of buying a copy but don't want to confuse my little brain.
:namaste:
Lise
lisehull

Re: Shangpa Kagyu Teachings

Postby conebeckham » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Have not read it, but I plan on ordering it eventually.

I have read bits of Tai Situ Rinpoche's other recent volumes, which are really transcripts of teachings he's given in the context of various large empowerment groups--Kagyu Ngakdzo, etc. They are all good, and worth reading--if you're interested in the material, as it is specific to the topic. They're nice volumes--the ones I've seen.

For the Shangpa volume, my understanding is that these are transcripts of teachings given on the occasion of the bestowal of the Shangpa KaWang that was given at the request of Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche a few years back. There's limited info available on the web, regarding a table of contents, etc., so it's hard to say exactly what's included, but I'd bet there's a great deal of background information regarding the history of the lineage, major figures, and main practices--but I'd doubt the actual practice instructions would be included in any detail.

If you're interested specifically in the Shangpa lineage, I can recommend the following books:
Timeless Rapture is the best volume out there on the lives, and songs, of the Shangpa lineage masters.
Jamgon Kongtrul's Retreat Manual gives up quite a bit of info about the practices of the lineage themselves, though it's not only about the Shangpa lineage.
Luminous Mind by Kyabje Kalu Rinpoche covers the Shangpa lineage, as well as more general information about Buddhism in general and Vajrayana in particular. His other books, particularly Secret Buddhism, also have quite a few nuggets of information.
Like an Illusion contains some abridged life stories of the Masters, and some information about the lineage and practices as well. I wish that it were not abridged.

There are some other sources, as well......
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby asunthatneversets » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:42 pm

lisehull wrote:Has anyone read this book? If so, how complex is it? I am thinking of buying a copy but don't want to confuse my little brain.
:namaste:
Lise

Sometimes confusing the brain is a good thing! Dedication to understanding something like a text which may not make sense at first is always a good thing in my eyes. Causes your perceptions and thought processes to evolve and grow :)
asunthatneversets

Postby conebeckham » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:34 am

Forgot two really good books.....Kongtrul's "Sheja Kunkhyab," the volume translated as "Esoteric Instructions," has a great section on Shangpa. And Sarah Harding's Niguma book, how could I forget?!?
conebeckham

Postby lisehull » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks for the comments and the referrals to the other books.
Lise
lisehull

Postby conebeckham » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 pm

I've just received this, and thumbed through it rather quickly. Look forward to reading it soon.

As I thought, this is a volume of transcribed oral teachings of Kyabje Dorje Chang Tai Situ Rinpoche, on the occasion of bestowing the Shangpa lineage transmissions at the request of Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche. As such, it has a lot of information about the Shangpa lineage and practices, as well as more general dharma teaching, expresed in the Guru's extemporaneous, sometimes playful and humorous, but always pithy and direct, way. It's not an "encyclopedia" of Shangpa, other volumes I mentioned above would better suit that description, but a collection of teachings directly from Kyabje Dorje Chang Tai Situ Rinpoche. Those with a connection to him, or to the Shangpa lineage, would definitely enjoy and benefit from this volume.
conebeckham

Postby JinpaRangdrol » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:54 am

conebeckham wrote:Forgot two really good books.....Kongtrul's "Sheja Kunkhyab," the volume translated as "Esoteric Instructions," has a great section on Shangpa. And Sarah Harding's Niguma book, how could I forget?!?

The Niguma book is fantastic.
JinpaRangdrol

Postby conebeckham » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:05 am

Agreed!^
conebeckham

Return to Kagyu