Mandarava

Kalu Rinpoche shocking news!

Post by Mandarava »

'I really like these teeth.There is a human being who took my teeth and then
there is another human being who gave me my teeth'. ~*~ Palden Gyatso ~*~
Pero

Re: Kalu Rinpoche shocking news!

Post by Pero »

Thanks for sharing. I haven't found it shocking though I was a little bit surprised he was an alcoholic/drug addict for a while. I wish him luck and hope he can succeed in restructuring.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Holy Moses.

I was thinking, while watching the video, "Here are the seeds of greatness". Most of the people i know who have had the problems he has had wound up filled with anger at the world. This guy is different.

If they ever decide to elect the Dalai Lamas, he'll get a vote from me!
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

emaho :bow:
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

catmoon wrote:Holy Moses.

I was thinking, while watching the video, "Here are the seeds of greatness". Most of the people i know who have had the problems he has had wound up filled with anger at the world. This guy is different.

If they ever decide to elect the Dalai Lamas, he'll get a vote from me!
Agreed. Even Milarepa killed his relatives.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Now that takes guts!!!

Well done kalu rinpoche!
:bow:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

the information is no more available ...
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Sonam,

I just looked and it was still there. If you can't view it, he said he was sexually abused when he was 12 or 13 and some years after that his tutor tried to kill him. When he came out of 3-year retreat he became an alcoholic and drug addict and now he wants to restructure his institutions. He also kept repeating that he is just a normal human being.

Sad but not surprising. He has a voice but I have no doubt sexual abuse happens a lot in Tibetan monasteries and those other boys don't have voices. Good for him to speak out.

- C
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The video is still there for me too.
Last edited by Grigoris on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
AlexanderS

Post by AlexanderS »

Shocking for him and the perpetrator. Must say, some of these scandals like this and the karmapa controrversy makes it difficult to have faith and trust in some of these institutions.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Thanks Clarence ... but still not visible for me.
About the way he want to reform, if we considere the cleaning he has done in Kagyü Ling (1000 Buddhas) he was totaly right, I knew all that stuff about the management before he came and was positively surprized in went into it so swiftly. What he has done is a good thing.
He his a normal being, and his blog give normal "dharma" messages, adapted to modern life + he is strongly supported by Taï Situ Rinpoché. My opinion is that it's positive for dharma that he is in charge.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Mandarava

Post by Mandarava »

Sonam,

I'll have a go at transcribing it for you but it is still there.It's on both of Rinpoche's Facebook pages.

''Hi dear friends it was nice to have you back in this moment and talk with you and I'm so sorry that this is not really high quality video.It's just a face book video.Well anyway, I just wanted to tell you about my life,life story in a few minutes. Urrm....you know like when I was, you know like many people thinks that Rinpoche did live in a luxury life and everything.Or you know like luxury life and always like enjoying being,never being unhappy or most things like that.And some people think that Rinpoche's are like you know more than human beings.Well then, whatever you name them it's like for me there.... for me the meaning of a Guru is about his understanding about the life and you know I love my root Guru, but he's not more than a human being he's an extraordinary human being and errrrr you know, just to let you know about my life *sniffs* my life story like when I was a kid you know I was living like a Prince till I was 9. You know errrr many people thinks that all the Rinpoche's has a same level life but all the Rinpoche's they have a middle class,the luxury class, the errr the lowest class, you know like the ( can't make out what he say here ) So like I was living in the best life of Rinpoche.When my father was alive I was living like a Prince sleeping,eating,playing games all the time.When I was 9 my father passed away and errrr I had a very difficult life you know.People thinks that Kalu Rinpoche always lived in a very comfortable life.That's what all people been thinking of because the previous Kalu Rinpoche he was popular. For me my father past away I was transported to different Monastery and errrr when I was like 12 and 13 I've been sexually abused by other monks......so for me I don't believe in monks so much you know, so you know and when I was 15 I did 3 years retreat from the guidance of my Root Guru you know and then like errrm.............and I did 3 years retreat and no body cares about me so much you know.Nobody knows where I am,how I am you know and after 3 years retreat, all the people are interested because you know they kind of think that I have this great qualification and something which I can remember about my past life *frowns rolls eyes* errrrr and it's nothing like that.And then some people just said I kick out from I, when I came out from my Monastery errr no no I mean when I came out from the 3 year retreat I mean. When I came out from 3 years retreat err and many people were making roomer's and saying that I kicked out my mother, my family errrr and you know, I kicked out my own teacher.Actually it's nothing ike that.My own Tutor, he tried to kill me, that's the truth and I was at that time I was really traditional.Very good traditional Buddhist practitioner.They tried to kill me because you know, I am not doing what they want me to do.You know it's * sighs* that time I was really really good you know.A traditional person you know and then he tried to kill me with the knife and everything and it was a shocking moment for me.And after that he left because when he realised about his own mistake how can he still live with me. So he left, I never kicked out anybody.I had a family misunderstanding for 2 years and a half, and recently like 6 months ago, I had a family reconnection and everything is good and after that errrrrm you know well when I was 18 I had all these big problems you know when one manager tried to kill me and everything ( mutters something not sure what ) It's all about money,power, controlling because if you can control the president, you can get what you want.That's the way it is and errrr you know and then I became a drug addict because of all this misunderstanding and you know I went crazy. I became an alcoholic, I became a drug addict. I did lots of crazy things but not the bad things and errrr then after that I asked my root Guru you know what is going on with my life I don't know because I see all these Buddhist people who are not Buddhist.They look like a Buddhist and they sound like a Buddhist and they act like a Buddhist and I am so confused.He said Rinpoche you have the capacity to change the structure in your own lineage in your Buddhist organisation.So that's why I'm trying to do, trying to build a school and to build my own structure for the poor people because for me the Buddhism and all this religious organisation, spiritual organisation it's all about how to protect the society, how to protect the environment, how to protect our self.How to be afar from the weakness,how to understand the tru meaning of point.And so you know errr....I will do whatever is best for society so that's why I plan to build a school and my life it's not easy.Theres lots of people who doesn't like me and theres lots of people who likes me.Weather you like it or not of who I am it doesn't change in the person who I am. So I will do everything I can I'm my responsibility's but the structure needs to be changed and the Buddhas teachings has to get involved in our personal life.It doesn't mean that you have to get away from your family.Stop thinking about sentient being if you can't help your own family.So first to be responsible is really important you know and errrr * big sigh* I don't want Buddhism to get involved in business politics no, I want Buddhism to bring a beautiful image to society and to understand society.That my point of view and wish me the best for my project, for my school which I can do the best for the society. And I'm just a normal human being even you live with me like 1,000 years I will still tell you, I'm just a human being. I always will be and no one is perfect ,everyone is perfect. Anyways all of you people take care and I'm happy with my life.I'm not going to change the way I am and errrrr *whispers* I'm not going to change who I am. I'm happy I am and at the end I can be myself now.So I wish for all of you, don't fall into confusion, don't fall into confusion about this O.K.If you want to be a Buddhist all you need is the one person who has a spiritual understanding life experience as I've told you many times. I'm so sorry for the cars running here there * points* because I'm outside.Take care, I love you very much and I'm happy don't worry'' * smiles and waves*
Mandarava

Post by Mandarava »

Hope you can understand it. I wrote it exactly as Rinpoche said it. :thinking:
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

gregkavarnos wrote:Now that takes guts!!!

Well done kalu rinpoche!
:bow:
+ 1

One hell of an admirable Rinpoche He is. :bow:
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Mandarava wrote:Hope you can understand it. I wrote it exactly as Rinpoche said it. :thinking:
:bow: thanks Mandarava ...

:namaste:
Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
Mandarava

Post by Mandarava »

Sönam wrote:
Mandarava wrote:Hope you can understand it. I wrote it exactly as Rinpoche said it. :thinking:
:bow: thanks Mandarava ...

:namaste:
Sönam
You're welcome :popcorn:
Paul

Post by Paul »

That is truly terrible. I wish I could say I was surprised.

Kalu Rinpoche has talked about this kind of thing before here: http://www.paldenshangpa.net/2011/04/br ... in-france/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Certainly it's admirable to admit you have a problem. But wouldn't have been better not to have had the problem in the first place?
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Jinzang wrote:Certainly it's admirable to admit you have a problem. But wouldn't have been better not to have had the problem in the first place?
Now that we're done judging him having walked in his shoes, I'll get the tar, and you get the feathers. :stirthepot:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Paul wrote:That is truly terrible. I wish I could say I was surprised.

Kalu Rinpoche has talked about this kind of thing before here: http://www.paldenshangpa.net/2011/04/br ... in-france/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well I am surprised. Clearly there are problems in the institutions. However he himself as a teacher has to make sure that he has cleaned up his act - alcohol and drug addiction - he may (or may not) have overstated the problem. NOTE: I'm not tarring and feathering him at all.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Kagyu”