Kalu Rinpoche shocking news!

Dechen Norbu

Re: Kalu Rinpoche shocking news!

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Yup, can't say I don't agree, but he has the right to remain anonymous. Of course that counts a lot when we are to evaluate the legitimacy of his comments. :smile:
Tenzin1

Post by Tenzin1 »

Tsering, is Kalu Rinpoche's tutor still there? He said the tutor had left the monastery. He also said the sexual abuse occurred prior to his retreat, when he was in his early teens. And I think that if he's going to the trouble of launching a project to build an educational institution for boys that will be safe for them, it probably means he was not the only one who suffered assaults. He must have observed others experiencing the same thing. That's how I read his statement. It could be he saw the same thing going on in his own monastery. There have been reports that this is commonplace, and not only in Tibetan monasteries. There may well be more to KR's statement than meets the eye, as you indicate. I'm just glad he's taking steps to remedy the problems he's discovered both in the monastic system and in his dharma centers. Here's his statement of his plans: http://www.paldenshangpa.net/2011/09/a- ... he-future/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
heart

Post by heart »

Tenzin1 wrote:Tsering, is Kalu Rinpoche's tutor still there? He said the tutor had left the monastery. He also said the sexual abuse occurred prior to his retreat, when he was in his early teens. And I think that if he's going to the trouble of launching a project to build an educational institution for boys that will be safe for them, it probably means he was not the only one who suffered assaults. He must have observed others experiencing the same thing. That's how I read his statement. It could be he saw the same thing going on in his own monastery. There have been reports that this is commonplace, and not only in Tibetan monasteries. There may well be more to KR's statement than meets the eye, as you indicate. I'm just glad he's taking steps to remedy the problems he's discovered both in the monastic system and in his dharma centers. Here's his statement of his plans: http://www.paldenshangpa.net/2011/09/a- ... he-future/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think he said "abuse" not "sexual abuse" which of course could mean the same but not necessary.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Tenzin1

Post by Tenzin1 »

He said he was sexually abused. That's why this video is generating so much discussion all around the internet. It's the first time an insider, a Tibetan from a monastic background, has spoken of this.
heart

Post by heart »

Tenzin1 wrote:He said he was sexually abused. That's why this video is generating so much discussion all around the internet. It's the first time an insider, a Tibetan from a monastic background, has spoken of this.
You are right, he said sexually abused.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tenzin1 wrote:He said he was sexually abused. That's why this video is generating so much discussion all around the internet. It's the first time an insider, a Tibetan from a monastic background, has spoken of this.
That's not true. ChNN has talked about this for many years.
Tsering927

Post by Tsering927 »

He is a "she". :) I didn't say that Bokar Monastery is a completely "peachy" place. I said go and investigate for yourselves if Kalu Rinpoche's accusations are true. Meet with the resident monks, Lamas and Khenpo Donyo Rinpoche, himself. I said that there are systemic problems arising in the monasteries, but I don't see Kalu Rinpoche doing anything to solve these problems. He talks a lot, but why doesn't he start by re-visiting his own Monastery in Sonada? Why doesn't he instruct the Lamas he, himself, put into retreat?

I think he is Kalu Rinpoche. I believe the previous Kyabje Kalu Rinpoche is teaching through this tulku, but my interpretation is a bit different. I always questioned why June Campbell wrote her book after the previous Kalu Rinpoche passed away. If you are going to make such accusations, you should give everyone a place at the table to discuss it and, if appropriate, defend themselves.

I am not sure who Kalu Rinpoche is referring to as his "tutor". That is why I am requesting him to come forward, but I doubt he will since it seems that so many people are just slurping up everything Kalu Rinpoche is saying, without any discretion or proper investigation.
It is said that you can tell whether someone has just eaten by how red his face is. Similarly, you can tell whether people know and practice the Dharma by whether it works as a remedy for their negative emotions and ego-clinging. --Jetsun Mila

The hungry are not satisfied by hearing about food; what they need is to eat. In the same way, just to know about Dharma is useless; it has to be practiced. --Jetsun Mila
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Samsara is a scary place, sadly whether outside or inside of a Buddhist monastery, community, and so on. Treachory, abuse, lies, scandal, cruelty and so on. Robes and statues of the Buddha unfortunately do not make these things go away. People should abandon their peachy attitude.

But I am a life path 8 (as per vedic) ruled by Lord Saturn. So I have experienced all of these things in the first part of my life, to make me stronger during my second half. Others don't have the same blessing, so they go on with a somewhat fuzzier impression of the faulty nature of samsara.

Kalu Rinpoche - September (9), 16'th 1990 - Karmic number 8.

9 + 1 + 6 + 1 + 9 + 9 + 0 = 35. 3 + 5 = 8

This is a good sign for Kalu Rinpoche. His early experiences with strengthen him for the latter part of his life, as in my case. He has the blessings of Lord Saturn.

Note: This is a Vedic numerological interpretation of his Life Path number.

Kevin
Tenzin1

Post by Tenzin1 »

Namdrol wrote:
That's not true. ChNN has talked about this for many years.
I know ChNN has spoken generally about "abuse", and sometimes specifically about discipline abuse (beatings). Neither I nor Tibetans I know who follow him have heard him speak of sexual abuse, and they deny that he has. Have you heard otherwise?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tenzin1 wrote:Have you heard otherwise?
Yes, of course, otherwise, I would not mention it.

N
Tenzin1

Post by Tenzin1 »

He's spoken publicly of sexual abuse? When was this?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Virgo wrote: This is a good sign for Kalu Rinpoche. His early experiences with strengthen him for the latter part of his life, as in my case. He has the blessings of Lord Saturn.
Kevin
That is to say that most of his troubles will be experienced early on, and there is less likely for strong troubles later on (save for astrological aspects that contradict this). Saturn, who rules this life path number, can be tough, limiting, and restrictive. But he is not evil or cruel. He does this to teach you valuable lessons that you can benefit from spiritually. It really is a blessing in disguise. Kalu Rinpoche will become very tough and strong, able to whether any storm. Why? He been there, done that, so tribulations in life that would throw others off won't be able to phase him. Likewise, 8's usually accomplish big things later in life. His Buddhist organization will likely be large, strong, and likely profitable (eights make a lot of money second part of life). In addition because of his Karmic number (7), he will study Buddhism and likely other sciences deeply on his own. So there is meaning and benefit in what happened to Kaly Rinpoche. It's makes 8's tough as nails.

Kevin
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tenzin1 wrote:He's spoken publicly of sexual abuse? When was this?
First reteat I was ever at, 1992, Buckland.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Have you seen 'My Reincarnation'? He hints there at it, too.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I hope no one minds that I am going into this, but I already started so...

I wanted to look at Kyabje Kalu Rinpoches life path number to compare. However, he was born in 1905 and it seems date and month is unavailable or unknown making that impossible. Nevertheless, let us look at Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche instead and get a glance.

ChNNR's karmic number (not life path number) is also 8, so there is definitely a strong 8 influence in him. His early life was very restrictive as is usual for all 8's. He was brought away and had to spend his childhood in a monastery. He had to study many texts and many things. I remember reading in one of his books that after his long days he would have to spend hours at night reading through pages to keep his commitments and one day His lamp went out and he was very scared that he would not be able to keep his commitments. This kind of attitude was greatly changed after the initial phase of his life when he met his uncle who showed him the real meaning of commitments.

We can see that ChNN's early life was quite restrictive. We can also see that he became powerful, strong, and leads a big organization in the later part of his life-- the infamous Dzogchen Community that causes benefit on an immense scale to people.

His life path number is 5, as per Vedic. 5 is ruled by the planet Mercury. Mercury rules communication (innovator in teaching through long distance webcasts). Mercury is also about freedom. 5 is also very balanced. The freedom in Rinpoches teachings is evident. Dzogchen is about not building a cage. The ease and lack of restriction here is very pronounced. As far as balance goes, Rinpoche constantly emphasizes balancing your practice with your life. He is not about extremes which is very indicative of 5's. He does not tell people to do millions of prostrations or go into lengthy retreats-- he tells them to balance their practice with your circumstances and life. This is a big part of the way He teaches. 5 also lucky with money. Rinpoche deserves it, but he also did get lucky with the job he was invited to Italy for.

So here we see these influences.

Kevin
Pero

Post by Pero »

Virgo wrote:Kalu Rinpoche - September (9), 16'th 1990 - Karmic number 8.

This is a good sign for Kalu Rinpoche. His early experiences with strengthen him for the latter part of his life, as in my case. He has the blessings of Lord Saturn.

Note: This is a Vedic numerological interpretation of his Life Path number.
Sorry for off topic but how come vedic numerology uses the western calendar?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

:focus: fellows.
Tenzin1

Post by Tenzin1 »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Have you seen 'My Reincarnation'? He hints there at it, too.
Thanks, huggingOctopus. I've seen the film, it only says he was "abused". That could mean simple discipline-related abuse (beatings) or something more serious. It's vague. But now we've clarified it. _/\_
Tsering927

Post by Tsering927 »

Virgo wrote: Kalu Rinpoche - September (9), 16'th 1990 - Karmic number 8.

but, his birthday is Sept. 17, 1990 -- not the 16th. :)

I agree there is a problem. Look at his FB page. I don't have a "peachy" view of the monastic system. There are problems, but what are we doing to improve the situation. KR has the perfect opportunity at his own Monastery to change the system, but he has seemly abandoned his responsibilities.

Greg, I am a student of the previous Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche. I am a westerner. I do not represent Bokar Monastery, nor am I trying to represent the Monastery. I am just reporting what I have witnessed. I was in Mirik when Kalu Rinpoche entered the Retreat Jan 2005. I received the Wangs from Gyalsap Rinpoche in the Retreat Building with Rinpoche, the Retreatants, Rinpoche's family and a host of other westerners . I was in Mirik when HH Karmapa, Jamgon Kontrul Rinpoche and Gyalsap Rinpoche visited in OCT 2005 and NOV 2006. I saw HH, Jamon Kontrul Rinpoche and Gyalsap Rinpoche go into the Shangpa Retreat on both occasions to meet specifically with Kalu Rinpoche and the other retreatants. HH Karmapa was supposed to come again in 2007, but there was a Ghorkaland strike and the Indian Government wouldn't allow him to travel to Mirik. There are references to HH Karmapas visit to Mirik on the Kagyu Office Website. Kalu Rinpoche says in his video that no one cared about him while he was in retreat, so I think it is important to note that all the main Lineage Holders made the effort to visit Kalu Rinpoche in the Shangpa Retreat. Esp. Goshir Gyalsap Rinpoche who not only bestowed all the wangs and instructions, but who returned annually to support and instruct Kalu Rinpoche. And also, Tenga Rinpoche in 2006 or 2007. http://www.benchen.org/bdoj2005/Tenga_R ... Rumtek.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do agree that there are problems in not only the monastic system, but in various Dharma centers who are under the direction of non-monastic Lamas (Himalayan and Western). I also see that Kalu Rinpoche has been given extraordinary opportunities to change the system, esp through efforts in his own monastery, but he has yet to do so.
It is said that you can tell whether someone has just eaten by how red his face is. Similarly, you can tell whether people know and practice the Dharma by whether it works as a remedy for their negative emotions and ego-clinging. --Jetsun Mila

The hungry are not satisfied by hearing about food; what they need is to eat. In the same way, just to know about Dharma is useless; it has to be practiced. --Jetsun Mila
Tsering927

Post by Tsering927 »

Kalu Rinpche personal FB page: http://www.facebook.com/kalu.skrilles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Kagyu”