Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche on translating the Kangyur

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche on translating the Kangyur

Postby phantom59 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:00 pm

'My whole life I’ve been involved in the Dharma and Dharma activities, and trying my best in all different ways. Making the Buddha’s teachings available in a wide way has been very, very important. One of my primary aims in this life, and I cannot find anything more important than this, is to have the entire body of the Buddha’s words, the Kangyur, the precious words of the Buddha translated into English and other languages. I feel this is a wonderful opportunity. We should all rejoice that it is happening, we should rejoice in those who are doing it, and we should rejoice in ourselves doing it, be happy about it ourselves.'

'I feel that one of the most important resources is human beings who are both learned and realized. How many are there of these? Not that many, right? That’s my main worry. In the past, there were great masters, such as Deshung Rinpoche, Khunu Lama Rinpoche, Dudjom, Khyentse, Ling, and Trijang Rinpoche, Kalu Rinpoche, and Karmapa, who had great power to magnetize. If they were all here, alive, we would have a great force behind these projects. If we don’t hurry up now… We are already too late, so now we have to stress, because otherwise we will be really too late.

We need to connect with and include all the most learned and realized masters of all the different lineages. Connect with them, ask them questions, discuss with them, and get their advice. We need to unify our abilities here, and work together as one body, as one mind, in complete harmony.

We must be concerned with two things. First of all, the Kangyur should be translated into English in a completely perfect way, as perfect as possible. The second thing is to do it quickly. High quality, and as fast as possible.

For that to be accomplished, we need many circumstances pulled together. There’s one factor that is indispensable the translators. The translators should be perfect not just able to spell his or her way through a text and say, “I studied this area of philosophy.” That’s not enough. Honestly speaking, we can’t let just anyone who wants to translate. But if they are well educated and are able, then they should be included, whoever they are. If it’s one of us who’s not really capable of translating, he should be thrown out. There’s no way around that. If there’s somebody who’s not part of this group, someone living far away, or not really connected, we should seek out this person.

The main point I want to put across: Work together as one, with the highest quality, and as fast as possible. Every year we can meet and see how much has been accomplished.'

Read more at :

http://84000.co/2011/02/cnr-address-to- ... nd-guests/
phantom59

Return to Kagyu