3/29: Garchen giving Red Chenrezig Emp

Jambu

Re: 3/29: Garchen giving Red Chenrezig Emp

Post by Jambu »

So, in fact, this was Avalokiteshvara in a specific form of Guhyasamaja? I think I've missed something in explanation... :shrug:
Can somebody explain the relation between Guhyasamaja and Avalokiteshvara concerning this empowerment, please?
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

So when he said that the Dharmakaya is the empty space of mind did he mean that when you meditate on space-like emptiness you are enlightened and when you arise you are not? That doesn't seem to make sense.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Jambu wrote:So, in fact, this was Avalokiteshvara in a specific form of Guhyasamaja? I think I've missed something in explanation... :shrug:
Can somebody explain the relation between Guhyasamaja and Avalokiteshvara concerning this empowerment, please?
There are several different versions of the Guhyasamaja. "Secret Assembly" is the usual translation, and the most well-known Guhyasamaja has Akshobyavajra as the main yabyum deity. There's also a tradition using a form of Manjusri, and at least one using Avalokiteshvara, in the Sarma lineages. In the Terma lineages, there are a variety of Guhyasamaya (Sang Du) practices as well. This is one of them, using a specific yabyum form of Avalokiteshara Jinasagara. (Chenrezig Gyalwa Gyamtso).

The main thing to understand is that the term "Guhyasamaja" refers to an assembly of deities, and that these are normally called "Father Tantra" practices in Sarma.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Konchog1 wrote:So when he said that the Dharmakaya is the empty space of mind did he mean that when you meditate on space-like emptiness you are enlightened and when you arise you are not? That doesn't seem to make sense.
Go back and watch the repeat of the morning session where Rinpoche explains the Sambhogakaya.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Jambu

Post by Jambu »

conebeckham wrote:
Jambu wrote:So, in fact, this was Avalokiteshvara in a specific form of Guhyasamaja? I think I've missed something in explanation... :shrug:
There are several different versions of the Guhyasamaja. "Secret Assembly" is the usual translation, and the most well-known Guhyasamaja has Akshobyavajra as the main yabyum deity. There's also a tradition using a form of Manjusri, and at least one using Avalokiteshvara, in the Sarma lineages. In the Terma lineages, there are a variety of Guhyasamaya (Sang Du) practices as well. This is one of them, using a specific yabyum form of Avalokiteshara Jinasagara. (Chenrezig Gyalwa Gyamtso).

The main thing to understand is that the term "Guhyasamaja" refers to an assembly of deities, and that these are normally called "Father Tantra" practices in Sarma.
Thank you very much, conebeckham!
So, in a simple words, can we say, that is the "mind" of Guhyasamaja, which contains all these idams as a Secret Assembly? Or how I can understand this: "…Guhyasamaja has Akshobyavajra as the main yabyum deity?
I mean, for example, in sadhana we visualise ourselves as Guhyasamāja: "...I appear in the form of Guhyasamāja, red with one face and two hands..."
And maybe, can you advice to me something to read about the "Secret Assembly" in Father Tantras, please?
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

ratna wrote:Here's a short sadhana in English.
This prints out in tiny font size, how do I increase the font size before printing?
thanks
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Jambu wrote: Thank you very much, conebeckham!
So, in a simple words, can we say, that is the "mind" of Guhyasamaja, which contains all these idams as a Secret Assembly? Or how I can understand this: "…Guhyasamaja has Akshobyavajra as the main yabyum deity?
I mean, for example, in sadhana we visualise ourselves as Guhyasamāja: "...I appear in the form of Guhyasamāja, red with one face and two hands..."
And maybe, can you advice to me something to read about the "Secret Assembly" in Father Tantras, please?
First, Guhyasamaja is a Tantra. A text. It concerns various subjects of Tantra, creation and completion, but principally it discusses body mandala--where one generates oneself as a deity, and then inside oneself at various places are other deities. This is one meaning of the "Secret Assembly." The Guhyasamaja Tantras also discuss Illusory Body, and the practices of Channels, Winds, and Drops. That, we could say, is another meaning of "Secret Assembly"--the subtle, or Vajra, body of Chenrezig, in this case.

In this particular practice, the main deity is Avalokiteshvara Jinasagara, Red Chenrezig with consort, in two-armed form. In the actual full sadhana, there are many other deities. I've skimmed through the Tibetan sadhana, but I'm not familiar with this particular practice, so I don't know what the commentaries say about any associated Completion Stage practices, but I'm sure there are some methods--perhaps Garchen Rinpoche will discuss today.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Dorje Nyingpo

Post by Dorje Nyingpo »

Lhasa wrote:
ratna wrote:Here's a short sadhana in English.
This prints out in tiny font size, how do I increase the font size before printing?
thanks
You should print it in oblong format.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

These videos are no longer online. Did anyone record them?

Return to “Kagyu”