Drukpa resources?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Drukpa resources?

Postby ylee111 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:18 am

In 2008, in Manhattan, I witnessed one of the most amazing spiritual rituals ever: the Tum Ngam Terrifying Deity (CHAM) Dance performed by the monks of Trongsa Fortress (Bhutan). Recently, as other Dharma Wheel Forum posters have noticed, I have been going through a spiritual journey to experience the vastness of human reality (ie I am looking for more than my post-industrial retail job life) and asking for resources on various schools. A few months back, I just learned that the monks are part of a Kagyu lineage called the Drukpa. I wish to study more about these remarkable folks.

Thus, what's a good book or website on the theological beliefs and rituals of the Drukpa lineage? I am specifically not looking for philosophical discourses.
ylee111

Re: Drukpa resources?

Postby Tzingnaydzin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:24 pm

Hello Friend,
Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo is an accomplished english practitioner of that lineage. She has many beautiful books and a fascinating biography written about her called Cave in the Snow.
Here is a interview with her:

I believe the main monastery for that lineage is Tashi Jong in India. Also unique to the Druk Kagyu lineage is the tradition of Togdens/Togdenmas. They are monks that practice for long periods in caves. Not many are authors but you can find some beautiful videos and photos of them. J. Palmo writes about them in some of her books.

<3
Tzingnaydzin

Re: Drukpa resources?

Postby T. Chokyi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:50 am

ylee111 wrote:In 2008, in Manhattan, I witnessed one of the most amazing spiritual rituals ever: the Tum Ngam Terrifying Deity (CHAM) Dance performed by the monks of Trongsa Fortress (Bhutan). Recently, as other Dharma Wheel Forum posters have noticed, I have been going through a spiritual journey to experience the vastness of human reality (ie I am looking for more than Kagyu lineage called the Drukpa. my post-industrial retail job life) and asking for resources on various schools. A few months back, I just learned that the monks are part of a I wish to study more about these remarkable folks.

Thus, what's a good book or website on the theological beliefs and rituals of the Drukpa lineage? I am specifically not looking for philosophical discourses.

http://www.drukpa.org/index.php/en/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJtKNdXnWV0&feature=related
T. Chokyi

Return to Kagyu