Lamrim in Kagyu

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Lamrim in Kagyu

Postby Karma Jinpa » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:34 pm

As His Holiness Karmapa is teaching on Tsongkhapa's Lamrim text over the next couple of days, perhaps it's relevant to discuss how this genre is dealt with in the Kagyu school. See http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=14521 for event details.

Obviously there is Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation, and Tsongkhapa's works are greatly respected. It's interesting that Karmapa is teaching on Tsongkhapa's text, rather than Gampopa's, though obviously this is not unheard of and a good example of being Rimé (as His Holiness OTD always is).

The 8th Karmapa had this to say about Jé Rinpoche:
Mikyö Dorjé wrote:When the teachings of the Sakya, Kagyu, Kadam
And Nyingma sects in Tibet were declining,
You, O Tsongkhapa, revived the Buddha's Doctrine,
Hence I sing this praise to you of Ganden Mountain.

Are there any other sources for teachings on Lamrim for the Dagpo and/or Shangpa?
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Re: Lamrim in Kagyu

Postby conebeckham » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:49 pm

"Essence of Ambrosia," the English translation of Taranatha's Lamrim......Stages of the Path for the 3 Types of Individuals. I linked to it in the thread about the Four Thoughts....

Then, of course, there's Niguma's "Lam Rim" if you want to blow your mind. :smile:
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby smcj » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:29 am

conebeckham wrote:Then, of course, there's Niguma's "Lam Rim" if you want to blow your mind. :smile:

Her what? Oh please please please…I like having my mind blown--especially by Dharma! Is it in Kongtrul's encyclopedia?
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby Konchog1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:01 am

conebeckham wrote:Then, of course, there's Niguma's "Lam Rim" if you want to blow your mind. :smile:
Oh man, that was difficult reading. Though in a good way.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby conebeckham » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:17 pm

smcj wrote:

Her what? Oh please please please…I like having my mind blown--especially by Dharma! Is it in Kongtrul's encyclopedia?

Get Sarah Harding's book on Niguma. Or, better yet, get the transmission for it and then get Sarah's book.....
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby smcj » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:01 am

conebeckham wrote:Get Sarah Harding's book on Niguma. Or, better yet, get the transmission for it and then get Sarah's book.....

Just ordered it. I gotta stop getting book recommendations from this site. I'm going broke!
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Return to Kagyu