Murder of Akong Rinpoche & Entourage

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Murder of Akong Rinpoche & Entourage

Postby Knotty Veneer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:52 pm

You cannot polish a turd - however a pleasing effect can be attained by rolling one in glitter.
Knotty Veneer

Postby Karma Jinpa » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:22 pm

:good:

So precious! :heart:
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Postby Outcast » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:28 pm

'When I learnt the circumstances of my brother's death and the identities of those who killed him and his nephew and driver, I felt extremely sorry for them because it shows how one moment of misguided anger can ruin so many lives. So, instead of feeling angry I feel compassion for them...'(Lama Yeshe)

OM-MANI-PADMA-HUM...Lama Thubten Kunsal.
http://vimeo.com/17865906
Outcast

Postby Stewart » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:04 am

It is very sad...I lived at Samye Ling at the same time as Thubten Kunsal, I knew him very well...I often cooked and ate supper with him, and went shopping to the city with him..he was/is a very talented artist....he was trusted and held and high regard at Samye Ling.

When he went back to China his mental health deteriorated...I heard he wasn't well a couple of years ago...but had no idea things were so bad with him...he now faces a firing squad, Lama Yeshe Rinpiche has formally requested he is spared, along with his accomplices...try to generate bodhicitta for them.
s.
Stewart

Postby Glyn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Stewart wrote:Lama Yeshe Rinpiche has formally requested he is spared, along with his accomplices...try to generate bodhicitta for them.

Lama Yeshe Losal Rinpoche has to be one of the most forgiving people I have ever met. There was a sort of scandal caused by a monk at his monastery which was probably the worst thing ever in terms of PR. A few years later I see them both at an event in another country and the openness and love Lama Yeshe Rinpoche obviiously had for the guy was amazing.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Glyn

Postby Knotty Veneer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:53 pm

'When I learnt the circumstances of my brother's death and the identities of those who killed him and his nephew and driver, I felt extremely sorry for them because it shows how one moment of misguided anger can ruin so many lives. So, instead of feeling angry I feel compassion for them...'(Lama Yeshe)

Lama Yeshe also said:

We should all have the bodhisattva attitude of mind and feel compassion and forgiveness towards those responsible for Rinpoche’s death. I have been able to forgive and this is how I was freed from my suffering.

Anger at Thubten Kunsal, as Lama Yeshe's advice implies, is pointless. it does not undo Akong Rinpoche's murder. It does not punish Thubten Kunsal nor does it purify his negative karma. Anger only prolongs our own suffering at Rinpoche's loss. Only through forgiveness is anger lifted. Forgiving Akong Rinpoche's murderers allows us to remove our own suffering, move on and start to do something to resolve the problems that it has caused for Rinpoche's projects, his students and also for those who killed him.

I went to Samye Ling the weekend after Rinpoche was killed. I remember clearly Lama Yeshe saying that the statues etc. that Thubten Kunsal created there and in London Samye Dzong would remain. They will be reconsecrated but that's it. I was particularly struck by this

Events and objects affect us only if we allow them too. I had a tough time going into the small Shrine room that contains a beautiful 1000-armed Chenresig sculpted by Thubten Kunsal. Lama Yeshe reminded us that the problem is created by our minds and the associations that we choose to make. We should instead remember what the statue represents rather than who made it. A wonderful teaching.
You cannot polish a turd - however a pleasing effect can be attained by rolling one in glitter.
Knotty Veneer

Postby Simon E. » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:11 pm

The other thing I find slightly worrying about negative feelings, understandable though they are.... I know there has apparently been a confession, but has there been a trial ?
Simon E.

Postby Knotty Veneer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:49 pm

Simon E. wrote:The other thing I find slightly worrying about negative feelings, understandable though they are.... I know there has apparently been a confession, but has there been a trial ?

I think the initial reponse from those who knew Thubten Kunsal was disbelief and that this was a fit-up but I don't think Samye Ling would be making the statements that they did if there was any real doubt about who did it. They may also have local information on what happened in addition to that provided by the Chengdu police. I think everyone at Samye Ling would love to discover that Thubten Kunsal was not responsible for this.

But you're right I suppose - he is only alleged to have done this. He has not been convicted of anything yet.

I think the trial will probably take a while.
Knotty Veneer

Postby Outcast » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Knotty Veneer wrote:...the initial reponse from those who knew Thubten Kunsal was disbelief and that this was a fit-up...everyone at Samye Ling would love to discover that Thubten Kunsal was not responsible...

Outcast

Postby Karma Jinpa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:44 am

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Previous

Return to Kagyu