13 Precious Drikung Kagyu Empowerments

heart

Re: 13 Precious Drikung Kagyu Empowerments

Post by heart »

alpha wrote:
heart wrote:
Motova wrote: So lets say I got the Green Tara initiation, what am I eligible to practice? Anything Green Tara? For example can I practice the sadhana found in Skillful Grace - Tara Practice for our Times by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche and Trulshik Adeu Rinpoche?
This is the Zabtik Drolma, it isn't just one sadhana it is a complete path. You can do parts of it online:

https://dharmasun.org/index.php?dharmasun=cms&id=22

But there are various empowerment's and pith instructions so you have to connect with Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche.

/magnus
Is there any dzogchen in it ?
Trechö for sure, I am not sure about Tögal.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:From

Medicine Buddha & Padmasambhava Empowerments:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32651547
this is the link to the Medicine Buddha empowerment, but where is the Padmasambhava empowerment? H.E. says at the end that the Padmasambhava empowerment will take place in the afternoon (this is a morning video), along with two other empowerments, but I can only find the Vajrapani (which is the next one I believe) and the Achi (which I guess also took place on that day). If anyone has found this video of the Padmasambhava empowerment, I would be really grateful for a link.

Much love
-Trime Pema
Motova

Post by Motova »

Lhasa wrote:This is a letter I received from Garchen Institute regarding the recorded empowerments.
Garchen Rinpoche gave us special permission for the empowerments that we have posted online through Ustream,

So they are still considered valid as long as you follow the instructions given below by Rinpoche:

“The touching of the vase to the crown of the head is the outer empowerment. The inner empowerment is to visualize yourself as the deity. The real empowerment is to realize the nature of your mind.

“When you cultivate bodhicitta, that is the real deity, and when you do this, that is when you actually receive the empowerment over the internet.

“If you live near the temple and think, ‘Oh, I don’t need to go to the temple; I can just receive the empowerment over the internet,’ that is not the right motivation. If you have the opportunity to come to the temple, then you should come.

“If you don't live nearby and cannot come, but with all your heart would like to, that is the right motivation for receiving the empowerment over the internet.”

May all be auspicious!

"The touching of the vase to the crown of the head is the outer empowerment. "

I am unclear on this, can someone explain this aspect of the initiation to me please?
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

TrimePema wrote:
Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:From

Medicine Buddha & Padmasambhava Empowerments:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32651547
this is the link to the Medicine Buddha empowerment, but where is the Padmasambhava empowerment? H.E. says at the end that the Padmasambhava empowerment will take place in the afternoon (this is a morning video), along with two other empowerments, but I can only find the Vajrapani (which is the next one I believe) and the Achi (which I guess also took place on that day). If anyone has found this video of the Padmasambhava empowerment, I would be really grateful for a link.

Much love
-Trime Pema
After Vajrapani there is a peaceful Guru Rinpoche empowerment, on the same video.
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

:namaste:
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Motova wrote:
Lhasa wrote:This is a letter I received from Garchen Institute regarding the recorded empowerments.
Garchen Rinpoche gave us special permission for the empowerments that we have posted online through Ustream,

So they are still considered valid as long as you follow the instructions given below by Rinpoche:

“The touching of the vase to the crown of the head is the outer empowerment. The inner empowerment is to visualize yourself as the deity. The real empowerment is to realize the nature of your mind.

“When you cultivate bodhicitta, that is the real deity, and when you do this, that is when you actually receive the empowerment over the internet.

“If you live near the temple and think, ‘Oh, I don’t need to go to the temple; I can just receive the empowerment over the internet,’ that is not the right motivation. If you have the opportunity to come to the temple, then you should come.

“If you don't live nearby and cannot come, but with all your heart would like to, that is the right motivation for receiving the empowerment over the internet.”

May all be auspicious!

"The touching of the vase to the crown of the head is the outer empowerment. "

I am unclear on this, can someone explain this aspect of the initiation to me please?
Hi Motova

vase empowerment
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... powerments

The Vase Empowerment

- purifies all the negative karma accumulated through negative actions of the body
grants the blessings of the vajra body

- unknots and heals the nadi authorizes the student as a receptive vessel for kyérim, the generation stage of visualization

- sows the seed for the attainment of the state of a ‘completely matured vidyadhara’
enables the student to attain the nirmanakaya level of realization.

What it looks like (vase/bumpa):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tibet ... aug_09.jpg

Vase empowerment first of four parts to empowerment:
http://www.khandro.net/TibBud_empowerment.htm

When you see Rinpoche touch the vase to the heads of the persons you could make a very strong visual in your mind that the vase is touching your head.
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

It seems the videos are still online, this means I can still take the empowerments right? I just have a few questions regarding this:
1. How do I choose which one to take? Is it okay if I take more than one and do the practice which I connect with the most?
2. What will I require before I start watching the videos? Are there any preparations I should make?
3. Are the daily practices shown in the videos, and if not, where can I find them?
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

LolCat wrote:It seems the videos are still online, this means I can still take the empowerments right? I just have a few questions regarding this:
1. How do I choose which one to take? Is it okay if I take more than one and do the practice which I connect with the most?
2. What will I require before I start watching the videos? Are there any preparations I should make?
3. Are the daily practices shown in the videos, and if not, where can I find them?
Here is contact information for Gar Drolma, the center at which these empowerments were given.
They have a resident Lama who could answer your questions. They also have the Deity pictures used in all the empowerments that they can email to you.
Yes, you can take all the empowerments and choose to do the one that you connect with the most.
As far as preparation, just create a sacred space/time for yourself, strong desire to receive and lots of love in your heart.

[email protected]
http://gardrolma.org/

This is for Garchen Institute and their webstore.
http://www.garchen.net/

These sanghas are very friendly and will do their best to help you.
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Ah, thank you, will contact them for advice then.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Karma Dorje wrote:The answer from the Garchen Institute is unambiguous and as follows (emphasis added):

We were told the following by Garchen Rinpoche for empowerments that Garchen Institute has put on Ustream. The recordings can be included as well as the livestream. It is not my impression that these apply to all empowerments available online, but for the ones he’s approved. Other lamas may have different requirements and it is important to follow the instructions of the Lama giving the empowerments.
Hello Everyone,

We have received several inquiries asking if one actually receives the empowerment if done by streaming, and following is Rinpoche’s reply:

May all be auspicious!

I don't quite follow this sentence the same way "The recordings can be included as well as the livestream." . .If this was what Garchen Rinpoche said, would that maybe mean that the recordings of the empowerments can be included on the website, i.e. people can connect with them and receive some benefit--> not necessarily that watching the recording is the same as receiving the empowerment in person? And also, not necessarily the same as even watching the empowerment livestream? The substances are generally essential for empowerments: drinking the nectars, eating the pills, etc. I would assume that is the subtext of this line "If you live near the temple and think, ‘Oh, I don’t need to go to the temple; I can just receive the empowerment over the internet,’ that is not the right motivation. If you have the opportunity to come to the temple, then you should come." -- meaning it is not the same to watch as to actually be there. . . if it was the same, it wouldn't matter if you came in person or not even if you lived close by. Similarly, I am sure it is not the same to watch the recording as to tune into the live stream. I'd imagine there is some level of degradation the further the experience is mediated.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Why not write to him? [email protected] He has said he will answer every email.
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

Adamantine wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote:The answer from the Garchen Institute is unambiguous and as follows (emphasis added):

We were told the following by Garchen Rinpoche for empowerments that Garchen Institute has put on Ustream. The recordings can be included as well as the livestream. It is not my impression that these apply to all empowerments available online, but for the ones he’s approved. Other lamas may have different requirements and it is important to follow the instructions of the Lama giving the empowerments.
Hello Everyone,

We have received several inquiries asking if one actually receives the empowerment if done by streaming, and following is Rinpoche’s reply:

May all be auspicious!
The substances are generally essential for empowerments: drinking the nectars, eating the pills, etc. I would assume that is the subtext of this line "If you live near the temple and think, ‘Oh, I don’t need to go to the temple; I can just receive the empowerment over the internet,’ that is not the right motivation. If you have the opportunity to come to the temple, then you should come." -- meaning it is not the same to watch as to actually be there. . . if it was the same, it wouldn't matter if you came in person or not even if you lived close by. Similarly, I am sure it is not the same to watch the recording as to tune into the live stream. I'd imagine there is some level of degradation the further the experience is mediated.
I do not agree with your view here Adamantine.
In my humble understanding of what Rinpoche means, I think what he is saying is that if you are motivated to take the empowerment and you are able to attend the ceremony in person and do not then you actually are not motivated to take the empowerment and do the practice.
Rinpoche said the reason he gave so many initiations is so that students who want to do certain practices, but feel like they are finding obstacles in terms of actually receiving the permission to do such practices, can have a chance to receive the empowerments.
For me, at least, there is really no ultimate difference between a recording and being there, since the phenomena still has arisen in ones own relative reality. Similarly, if you are not there to receive the substances, then you can visualize it - Rinpoche even says this.
The mindstream of the Buddha entering the afflicted mindstream of the practitioner is not an outer process and has nothing to do with actual tangible things - "Bodhichitta is the real deity". In my experience, if one is able to visualize the Buddha becoming one with oneself through the Guru offering the substances in general, and one can visualize receiving them, then one can actually receive them - it is a matter of faith and devotion. Even HHDL says that a practitioner with strong devotion can receive an empowerment from far away, as long as the empowerment has actually taken place in reality...even an empowerment like Kalachakra could be received by someone who knows that the mandala has been built and the ceremonies have taken place etc.
Tabkye

Post by Tabkye »

Personally, I am very grateful for H.E. Garchen Rinpoche's kindness and vision in using resources like the internet to share the Dharma with more students. I have participated in some of the empowerments via the recordings and have treated it with all the reverence of an in-person empowerment. To build on what a previous poster said, tantra is all about using the imagination. Every empowerment is filled with exercises of the imagination, so it was not hard at all to feel I was in the same room with my vajra brothers and sisters, partaking in all the rituals. And the memory of having empowerments take place there gives it an added feel of beauty.

Teachers have progressively been using new technologies to widen their reach. P.A. systems and jumbotrons, as well as the internet have allowed millions to receive teachings from HH The Dalai Lama and many others. I think it's worth examining why this "does it count if it's over the internet" thing hooks my mind. There have been pages of back and forth - that alone is an interesting Dharma teaching. There are certainly many teachers who have not embraced this way of conferring empowerments; I am thankful Rinpoche is forging ahead.
Soap-Bubble

Post by Soap-Bubble »

Can someone clarify this sentence to me:

It is not my impression that these apply to all empowerments available online, but for the ones he’s approved.

Does it mean that among his recorded webcasts, some are considered ok to receive empowerment from and some are not? Or does it mean that all his recordings are approved by him, and the rest are those of other teachers?
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

i think H.E. means that what is online of his empowerments is online due to his approval and he is not sure if other teachers also approve of students receiving empowerments via their online footage.
Ogaf

Post by Ogaf »

Hi folks, I recently attempted to watch these recordings, but have had no luck. They will play for a few seconds then buffer eternally. I don't have any problems watching other live streams and recordings on Ustream, therefore it doesn't seem to be a problem from my end.
Does anyone else have a problem watching them?
Are they available anywhere else?

My thanks in advance for any consideration you give this question :)

Nice to meet you all and thank you for the many hours of insightful reading during my time as a lurker.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Not sure about that. The best I can offer is that I know Garchen is giving Vajrakilaya sometime soon. So that's available as a livestream, or will be.

best of luck

Jake
emaho

Post by emaho »

Ogaf wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:16 pm Hi folks, I recently attempted to watch these recordings, but have had no luck. They will play for a few seconds then buffer eternally. I don't have any problems watching other live streams and recordings on Ustream, therefore it doesn't seem to be a problem from my end.
Does anyone else have a problem watching them?
Hi,

are you by any chance using an adblocker? I once had a similar problem while using AdBlock Plus, what seemed to be an endless buffering turned out to be Ustreams attempt to show me some ad being blocked by AdBlock+. The problem disappeared after I removed AdBlock+ and installed uBlock Origin instead.

Good Luck!
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Ogaf

Post by Ogaf »

Thank you for the suggestions :)
Yep, tried with Adblocker disabled and various other possible issues, but still no luck. Hence why I wondered if anyone else can still watch them.

Here's the link if anyone is willing to try: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gar-drolma-choling
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

I tried and am having the same problems as you. Right clicking the screen brings up a playback issue box, tried several of those, nothing works. You might contact GarDrolma and tell them there's a problem.

Return to “Kagyu”