Je Gampopa

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Je Gampopa

Postby sherabpa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:36 am

There is a rupa of Gampopa on my shrine which I have had for years but just recently I started noticing it when I am meditating. The face of the image looks so peaceful, especially in the evening when the light reflects off it in a certain way.

It prompted me to return to Jewel Ornament and study this again, something I haven't done for over 10 years. When I was reading the chapter on suffering, it really struck me just how terrifying the Buddhist vision of samsara can be. Gampopa's description of the hells is one of the most uncompromising there is. It brought me back a bit to the reason why I practice dharma.

Anyway I just wanted to share this thought I have had lately, that Gampopa is so important in the Kagyu, and I wonder if anyone else was feeling this lately. Its like his blessings are everywhere. My main practice is Konchog Chindu and they say Jatson Nyingpo was an emanation of Gampopa, which is very amazing.
sherabpa

Re: Je Gampopa

Postby Konchog1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:05 am

By Huseng
Attachments
Dharma Wheel • View topic - It_s all gonna be all right._20130123_212248.png
Dharma Wheel • View topic - It_s all gonna be all right._20130123_212248.png (24.37 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby uan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:58 am

Konchog1 wrote:By Huseng

:good:
uan

Postby sherabpa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 am

I prefer Gampopa but each to her own
sherabpa

Postby Ösel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:43 am

Yes, I've been feeling the blessings of Gampopa everywhere lately. Recently I was on retreat in the mountains of Colorado, and tears of gratitude flowed when I thought of Gampopa for some reason. The example of his life is so inspiring-- I recommend reading his life story.
Ditthe ditthamattam sute sutamattam mute muta mattam vinnate vinnata mattam
Ösel

Postby sherabpa » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Yes that's exactly it. And in the past I have always been much more inspired by Marpa and Mila, and of course they are amazing, but Gampopa feels particularly inspiring these days.
sherabpa

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:43 am

Check out the biography of Rechungpa (Milarepas prodigal son) too. It is well worth loking into this, largely ignored, brilliant student of Milarepa. Milarepa likened Gampopa to the sun and Rechungpa to the moon, when referring to his two heart sons.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Namgyal » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:27 am

gregkavarnos wrote:Check out the biography of Rechungpa (Milarepas prodigal son) too. It is well worth loking into this, largely ignored, brilliant student of Milarepa. Milarepa likened Gampopa to the sun and Rechungpa to the moon, when referring to his two heart sons.

The Rechung Kagyu lineage survives within the Nyingma.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changling_Rinpoche_XV
As for Samsara...
'All-Pervasive Suffering ' is the suffering inherant in the fact of being born with contaminated aggregates, which by their very nature are like a magnet attracting sickness, old age and death.' (Wangchuk Dorje)
Namgyal

Return to Kagyu