Which Kagyu master's life story inspires you the most?

Tilopa
No votes
Naropa
8%
Marpa
25%
Milarepa
50%
Rechungpa
17%
Gampopa
No votes
The 1st Karmapa Düsum Khyenpa
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 12

Luke

Post by Luke »

I've always felt the most connection to Marpa's life story. I love reading about his travels and about all the gurus he met along the way. Perhaps I relate to him the most because I am also trying to study Buddhism in a foreign country and trying to learn the language. Marpa started out as a (seemingly) ordinary man, but then achieved enlightenment through great effort.

Milarepa's life story is full of such extremes of suffering that I almost can't bear to read it. I wish I could have been alive back then so that I could have brought some food to Milarepa in his cave.

In Milarepa's biography, Marpa seems so horribly mean, but Marpa's biography shows his softer side, including his great love for his family.

Which Kagyu master's biography inspires you the most?
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Re: Which Kagyu master's life story inspires you the most?

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Milarepa :)
Josef

Re: Which Kagyu master's life story inspires you the most?

Post by Josef »

I voted Marpa.
Gampopa is a close second though.
As a "family man" i think these two are the best examples for me personally.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Kagyu”